The Posette of 2D Paint programs.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post The Posette of 2D Paint programs.

#1  pangor 30 Jan 2006 22:28

I was thinking about this for a while, then while answering a question that Erenda asked at 3DT's gimp forum.  I came to see more and more matches between Posette and gimp.

For example:

Both are free or as good as free once some required purchases have been made.

Both are very useful and capable, if someone is willing to give them a fair chance.

Both are often incorrectly discounted as being useless by the general artist communities.

Both are have fewer nice items made for them, compared to the more costly options.

pangor 

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Tormie 31 Jan 2006 20:55

The gimp is a good program, very good. When I postwork I just use some basic techniques and don't use hard filtering or complicated things so the gimp could be the right match for me. The problem is simply another: I began using PSP) is a bitmap graphics editor for computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system that was originally published by Minneapolis-based Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel Corporation bought out Jasc software">paint shop pro and its interface so it's difficult for me to learn how to use another program for doing the same things. However I'll give it a chance   again   ! (I'm lazy, you know )

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  ahjah 31 Jan 2006 23:21

Tormie";p="28332 wrote: 
The gimp is a good program, very good. When I postwork I just use some basic techniques and don't use hard filtering or complicated things so the gimp could be the right match for me. The problem is simply another: I began using PSP) is a bitmap graphics editor for computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system that was originally published by Minneapolis-based Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel Corporation bought out Jasc software">paint shop pro and its interface so it's difficult for me to learn how to use another program for doing the same things. However I'll give it a chance   again   ! (I'm lazy, you know )

That´s exactly my feeling about this.
I´m so used to my old PSP 5 (was a freebie, too. on a cover CD of a comuter magazine )
The last time I tried gimp about four years ago, and was so irritated by the interface that I didn´t try it again     (... and I´m lazy, too...)

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#4  rayera 01 Feb 2006 01:18

You are right in all your apresiations Pangor like Wings3D and Blender in the 3d modeling side, (Blender has more consideration of the 3D community but Wings3d simplicity and power is very underestimated because of, I think, it's poor visual beauty and simply because it's free and open source.
I mainly use gimp in my postwork and don't need to say I love it, sometime ago I bought photoshop 7 (too much expensive) I'm not a pro and maybe my apresiation may be wrong but I think one of the few point in wich win photoshop is in the brush handling and customisation, if I have to place gimp somewhere it would be under photoshop but very near, and up PainShopPro (my wife choise and nothing else) but by far, and consider I'm comparing a free aplication with comercial products one of them extremaly expenseive ; one think that I can't understand about PSP is it doesn't suport graphic tablets (I have a poor Genius wizardpen, not a Wacom but useful for my works) but gimp work great with it, easyly you can define preasure for the thiknes opacity and hardnes of all tools.
gimp Interface is not much diferent from photoshop and is very customizable, the  icons are big and even much clear and defined than photoshop, the filters are great and some like the rendered ones (clouds, sin etc) are amazing the script fu tools are great too. Believe me Tormie you can achieve hard filtering and complicated things with it if you'd need so. If somebody is thinking about buying some graphic program I'd ask him/her to download and install gimp and give a serius try, not just open put some strokes with the brush, but try to do some work with it and I think after that will have a hard time to deside if to buy.
Sorry if I sound fanatic    but I like gimp, and I think it deserves atention and suport. By now I allways have the gimp instaled and photoshop too, of 10 of my works 9 i do in gimp, I think I don't uninstal photoshop just to have some consolation       

By the way in case somebody doesn't know this place:
http://www.gimptalk.com/

very useful.

Last edited by rayera on 01 Feb 2006 03:10; edited 1 time in total 
argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#5  Posy 01 Feb 2006 01:18

How do you assume this statement holds true for me?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#6  pangor 01 Feb 2006 07:18

I agree that each of us should use what is best for them.  Any software that you already have purchased is what is known as a sunk cost, meaning that the money has already been spent so the cost of it is not longer a consideration.  Those who own PSP and are used to it, then that is fine.  You can always try using gimp if you can, but if you find yourself to be more productive with your current software, that is fine.

There are some problems with gimp, one is the lack of nice brushes available for download, as PSP and PS have.  Another is the lack of the large number of filters that can be downloaded or purchased.

In the past I used a variety of other paining software that is mostly forgotten by most people today.  The design of that software was limited by the capabilities of the hardware of that time.  Features that I now rely on like layers, didn't exist at that time.  That is one of the reasons that so little postwork was ever done back then.

I started with gimp when I didn't need anything too fancy.  Just somthing to handle simple untility graphics work.

Once I was ready to get started working on art again in late 2004, I found that gimp had become comfortable.  I have a copy of PSP that I bought a while back as a clearance item, but it does not feel comfortable.  I can work with it but and given time it could become comfortable, but it is limited to running on Windows; while gimp runs on each OS that use most often.

I have heard complaints that gimp can not handle tubes, well that is true that it can not read PSP tubes and it does not have a function by that name.  Instead, gimp has the same functionality of tubes built in it brushes interface.

As Rayera mentioned scriptFU  That is one of the places where gimp leave the other program in the dust.  I understand that PS now has scripting capability, gimp had it first and still has it best.  Instead of providing it own custom scripting language, gimp uses standard programming languages for scripts.  It uses Scheme (ScripFU), Perl, and Python.  Learning Python for eithr gimp or Poser you already know what you need for the other program and for writing independent software that can be run though a standard python interpreter.  You can intermix the used of the various languages by a standard function registery provided by gimp.  Write a filter or other script in say python and it can used functions written in Perl, C, or Scheme that have been registered by gimp during startup or there after.

pangor 

#7  Posy 01 Feb 2006 07:19

Thanks for telling me that gossip. I will remember it. Why now? That question has never crossed my mind before. Count me out on this one, I was never much of a writer.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#8  rayera 02 Feb 2006 02:04

Pangor: try the site I give, there you'll find a lot of links to nice brushes, and tutorials, specialy useful for me was one that show you how to make your own brushes (simple and animated).

http://www.gimptalk.com/

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#9  pangor 02 Feb 2006 03:09

Yes, I do need to look through that place.  Thank you.

pangor 

#10  Kaya 21 Mar 2006 02:20

I like using gimp and wings3d.  I am getting used to wings3d, but still have some problems with it.  I do think Posette is pretty in her own way.  I just do not have many textures for her.

Kaya Gender: Female
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Location: Lost in my computer, inbetween several diffrent programs and browsing web too much
Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

#11  melamkish 21 Mar 2006 04:53

Welcome to PosetteForever, Kaya!   

There are lots of things still available for Posette including characters and textures.  Many are right here in our download area and you can find lots on the web.  Our links forum has lots of places to go.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#12  pangor 21 Mar 2006 08:03

Hello Kaya,

Welcome to Posetteforever.

While Posettes are special focus of this site.  Which ever model you use is your choice to make in order to render into an image your vision as an artist.  Some here use only posettes, while others specialize in the Victorias or Stephanies.
Or as in my case, use which ever model that the artist feels is best for the particular image.  And you know what?  All those images are in our galleries, not just Posette images.

As for textures for Posette, be sure to get a copy of the three photoreal textures for Posette that are in our free stuff two in one package and on in another..  Also take a look at the morphs that we have available, with that combination you will have a good starting point from which to develop Posette character.  ALso be sure to get a copy of the Vicky Buster texture for Posette by SnowSultan, you can find it in Renderosity's free stuff.  For more variety of textures for posettes, there is a remapped Posette that can accept the textures maps of Judy, Victoria 1 and Victoria 2.  Then there is a base model called NeaEna who make many additional builtin morphs than the original Posette and also works with Jusy, V1 and V2 texture maps.  That is enough for a start.

Any questions or you need any help, just ask.

(Melamkish do you have the remaped Posettes, NeaEna, and the Vicky Buster texture in your list of resource links?)

pangor 

#13  melamkish 21 Mar 2006 13:11

Well, I would have to look.  I know some are there, but after looking at sooooo many websites, it's hard to remember what is at all of them.  Sometime later this year I want to reorganize and try to group the Posette related sites.

If you have them handy, post away.  I will add them to the list if I have missed them!

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#14  pangor 21 Mar 2006 20:11

The original Viki Buster texture for P4 Posette has been replaced by a second version, you can locate it from SnowSultan's Freestuff at Renderosity. Here is SnowSultan's home page at Renderosity. http://www.Renderosity.com/homepage.ez?Who=SnowSultan

Also the texture map for Angie character for Posette by Rjghise that is in our free stuff was created using the Vicki Buster as a base.

At PlanIT 3D http://www.planit3d.com/ in their Poser characters section of their downloads you will find PitKlad's NEAena.  There are also lots of other nice items there.

Go to April's Vanity http://aprilsvanity.com/ and in the 3D downloads you will find: a Posette remapped to take V1 and V2 texture maps; a Dork remapped to take M1 and M2 texture maps; a V1 / V2 remap to take Posette texture maps; a S1 to take V1 and V2 texture maps; several nice textures maps for Posette; and other Props, clothing, and characters.

pangor 

#15  ahjah 22 Mar 2006 01:33

Hi and welcome, Kaya!
If you´re looking fo Posette textures, you should go here
http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendel...worldlanduncut/  

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief