is there a ultity that autoinstalls zip files

Page 1 of 1

Post is there a ultity that autoinstalls zip files

#1  Kaya 24 Mar 2006 03:02

I have a number of zip files that for some reason were not put in the runtime folder organization.  They are just a zip files with all the files in one folder or just in the zip file (with no folder)  I was just wondering if there was any utlities that would unzip those zip files and put the files in the right places in the runtime I specify.

Kaya Gender: Female
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Location: Lost in my computer, inbetween several diffrent programs and browsing web too much
Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  melamkish 24 Mar 2006 03:10

Yes there is one called Poser Porter.  Take a look at this for information and ask if you have any questions.

http://posetteforever.com/viewtopic.php?t=1940

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

#3  Kaya 24 Mar 2006 03:24

I think I actually looked at that and did not relize what it was for.  I guess it was partly because I have flash to be only played when I click on it.  So it did not show the image that was on that page.
Thanks for the help.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Location: Lost in my computer, inbetween several diffrent programs and browsing web too much
Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

#4  Kaya 24 Mar 2006 20:21

I somehow opened PoserPorter without knowing it.  Somehow I already had in installed on my computer and did not know what it was for.  
I was asking for a utlity and forgot I already had one that did that.  
Thanks for the help and I am glad I found out it is already installed before installing it again.

Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 560
Lemons 462
hearts 0

#5  pangor 24 Mar 2006 23:13

That does happen from time to time.

Note that no program like Poser Porter can do its job correctly all the time.  With older zips or other differently organized one can fail to be properly installed by a program like this.  What is needed is a proper package manager to install, track dependancies and handle uninstallations when do ing so won't break other installed packages.  But then instead of today's zips a different package format would need to be adopted by the 3D community.  It is not likely to happen.

pangor 

#6  Tormie 15 Apr 2006 22:47

Pangor is right, with the knowledge of the program you'll know where to put things manually, it has to be done expecially on older zips...

Last edited by Tormie on 16 Apr 2006 06:13; edited 1 time in total 
it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  melamkish 15 Apr 2006 23:50

Poser Porter is a tool like any other program and certainly helps when loading lots of zips in more current formats, but there is no substitute for knowing where the files should go.

After overloading my runtimes ( ) I now open the zip and look at the directory structure.  If it is a Poser Porter candidate, I close the zip, drop it on Poser Porter, and then move the file to my "filing system" folder.  If there are no runtimes or it looks like it should be manually installed, I put it in a "later" folder for when I have time to make sure everything goes where it should.

Now all my downloads go into the Download folder in Poser.  I reinstalled Poser so the Poser runtime is nice and clean.  Makes it easy to find things.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3560
Lemons 2820
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL