Subject: is there a ultity that autoinstalls zip files
I have a number of zip files that for some reason were not put in the runtime folder organization. They are just a zip files with all the files in one folder or just in the zip file (with no folder) I was just wondering if there was any utlities that would unzip those zip files and put the files in the right places in the runtime I specify.

Profile PM  
Subject:
Yes there is one called Poser Porter. Take a look at this for information and ask if you have any questions.

http://posetteforever.com/viewtopic.php?t=1940 :)

Profile PM  
Subject:
I think I actually looked at that and did not relize what it was for. I guess it was partly because I have flash to be only played when I click on it. So it did not show the image that was on that page.
Thanks for the help.

Profile PM  
Subject:
I somehow opened PoserPorter without knowing it. Somehow I already had in installed on my computer and did not know what it was for.
I was asking for a utlity and forgot I already had one that did that. :oops:
Thanks for the help and I am glad I found out it is already installed before installing it again.

Profile PM  
pangor
Subject:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That does happen from time to time.

Note that no program like Poser Porter can do its job correctly all the time. With older zips or other differently organized one can fail to be properly installed by a program like this. What is needed is a proper package manager to install, track dependancies and handle uninstallations when do ing so won't break other installed packages. But then instead of today's zips a different package format would need to be adopted by the 3D community. It is not likely to happen.

Subject:
Pangor is right, with the knowledge of the program you'll know where to put things manually, it has to be done expecially on older zips...

Last edited by Tormie on 16 Apr 2006 06:13; edited 1 time in total
Subject:
Poser Porter is a tool like any other program and certainly helps when loading lots of zips in more current formats, but there is no substitute for knowing where the files should go.

After overloading my runtimes ( :doh: ) I now open the zip and look at the directory structure. If it is a Poser Porter candidate, I close the zip, drop it on Poser Porter, and then move the file to my "filing system" folder. If there are no runtimes or it looks like it should be manually installed, I put it in a "later" folder for when I have time to make sure everything goes where it should.

Now all my downloads go into the Download folder in Poser. I reinstalled Poser so the Poser runtime is nice and clean. Makes it easy to find things. :dance:

Profile PM  

Page 1 of 1