Going To Blender And Staying There

Page 1 of 1

Post Going To Blender And Staying There

#1  odysseus 10 Aug 2008 18:48

Greetings to all;

Have been working hard lately to try to understand and master Blender as much as possible. For me it is a superior program that is just going to get better as time goes on, so the learning curve is definitely worth it for me.

As a long time Poser user, what I am truly interested in is getting various characters from Poser 7 into Blender and keeping them there for rendering and animation purposes. There are a great many tutorials on creating morph targets in Blender for export to Poser (a couple of great ones here BTW), but what I want to know is if anyone has explored the possibility, or knows of a way, of getting standard Poser morph targets (phonemes, facial expressions, etc.,) moved over to Blender for an exported character. I know that for standard body animation, a whole new rig will have to be created. I don't mind doing this and look forward to the learning of it, but it would make life much easier if the all important expression morphs for the face could be brought along to simplify the animation process. Blender is capable of handling morph targets (otherwise known as 'relative vertex keys' in Blender), so I can't help but think there is a way to translate it over.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.[i]

blank.gif odysseus Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 30
Lemons 37
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Going To Blender And Staying There

#2  Tormie 10 Aug 2008 19:14

Hi odysseus and welcome

Unfortunately I had not the time for learning Blender yet, btw I think that what you asked is possible. I don't know what version of Poser you have, anyway, you should simply "reset the face" (no expressions, no shaping morphs) and then set to "1" the morph that you want to export, then export the head or the face of the character as an obj selecting only the "morph" option, you'll obtain an obj of the morph, that you can import everywhere, not only in Blender, if Blender can manage morphs I think it will be easier to add the specific morph to the exported character.

Nevertheless, it will be a LONG process...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  odysseus 10 Aug 2008 19:29

Thanks for the Welcome

Currently I own Poser 7. I definitely need to learn more on how Blender uses and implements morphs, but your suggestion appears sound.
Yes, it would take forever
But, in the end, I think it will be worth it.
Do keep me informed if you get any new info. And of course, if I discover something, I'll pass it along here.
Be well...

Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 30
Lemons 37
hearts 0

#4  Tormie 10 Aug 2008 19:32

Rayera is the king of Blender , he will discover this thread soon . Ahjah ( ) uses a lot Blender for morphing , but you need the opposite process (Poser->Blender) and stay there...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#5  rayera 10 Aug 2008 19:48

The true is I never was interested in animation in any program    so the true is I never investigated this kind of function in Blender, but as far as I can see, considering some character rigs I downloaded most expressions of this characters where handled with some kind of magnets and bones   I don't want to say too much because the true is, as I said, I don't know much about animations, something I really know is that the process of re-rigging the characters for use in Blender will be much easier than in Poser since Blender use something called weight paint that is really cool and easy, no ugly fal-off zones  

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#6  Tormie 10 Aug 2008 19:54

I think his purpose is to import in Blender a complete character with the morphs, I don't use Blender at all actually (waiting for the right mood to start the learning curve ) but as far as I know what I described is probably the only way, and it's a looong way (.... to tipperary       )

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  odysseus 10 Aug 2008 20:10

Thanks again everyone. Again, I'll have to read up and study precisely how Blender does things. I'll give Tormie's suggestion a try and see how it goes.

Tormie - when you get the mood up, one of the best places for video tutorials I've found is blenderunderground.org

They have downloadable video tutorials that explains the basics with a great deal of clarity. Good Luck!

Again, If I come up with a practical way of accomplishing this, I'll send it all your way....

Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 30
Lemons 37
hearts 0

#8  ahjah 10 Aug 2008 20:20

Hi and welcome Odysseus
I didn't make any animation stuff either, but I used blenders modelling capacities for creating morphs for Poser people.
I'd sugest making emotion morphs from scratch. This would be much faster and easyer than trying to import the original morphs (if possible ) . Using the sculpting tool it should be possible to get any expression you need in a blink...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#9  odysseus 10 Aug 2008 20:34

Oooo, now theres another cool feature in Blender I haven't tried yet.  

Honestly, there's so much to learn, but that is certainly a viable suggestion. I'll experiment with that as well. Thanks!

Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 30
Lemons 37
hearts 0

#10  veillon52 08 Apr 2016 02:31

Tormie wrote: [View Post]
Hi odysseus and welcome

Unfortunately I had not the time for learning Blender yet, btw I think that what you asked is possible. I don't know what version of Poser you have, anyway, you should simply "reset the face" (no expressions, no shaping morphs) entreprise and then set to "1" the morph that you want to export, then export the head or the face of the character as an obj selecting only the "morph" option, you'll obtain an obj of the morph, that you can import everywhere, not only in Blender, if Blender can manage morphs I think it will be easier to add the specific morph to the exported character.

Nevertheless, it will be a LONG process...

Thank you for this information because we really need . We started day there not too long ago and we still sommmes novices.

veillon52 Gender: Female
Lurker Surfer
Lurker Surfer
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 
Tomatoes 10
Lemons 0
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic