Weird File Type In Download Area

Article
Post Weird File Type In Download Area 

I just tried to download "AC 427 MATs Set #3" (in the 4-wheel vehicles section), and was able to do so, but this doesn't seem to have any associated file type (like ZIP, RAR, whatever).  I'll try renaming the file (which had no extension either), but this is just weird - all the other downloads seemed to be just fine!

deej [ 04 Jul 2008 18:11 ]

Comments
Post Re: Weird File Type In Download Area 

Hi, if it is same download, then it is a generic archive file. Open with any unZipper, even XP's own.

I've had a look, it includes Mac and DS files which my Poser cannot read, but that's a different issue.

A caution: Not all unZip programs are equal. Some have a 'run length' problem with OBJ and 3DS files created by other archivers. eg when my preferred IZArch cannot unpack Eric Saltel's mesh-archive files into valid models, I use QuickZip. Best to have several available...

And, yes, keep free IrfanView handy: Clicking on an unknown piccy file-type usually produces message "This is a mislabeled JPG: Rename ?".
When you get one of those, send Irfan a very kind 'thank you' for the rescue...

Nik [ 04 Jul 2008 18:37 ]

Hi and welcome deej
I just checked the dl, and you're right. for some reason the file extension is missing.
I downloaded it for check and it should work if you just add ".zip" (without quotes) to the file name.
It's a zip, I checked it and it worked for me

ahjah [ 04 Jul 2008 18:40 ]

I'm going to fix ... BTW Welcome deej

Tormie [ 04 Jul 2008 19:55 ]

Fixed.

Well, I remember to have downloaded it in the past, maybe something wrong with the database. What puzzles me it's 366 downloads and no one said anything till now ...

Tormie [ 04 Jul 2008 20:02 ]

My archiving utilities recognised it as a generic 'zip', hid the detail...

But I've downloaded such a variety of archived meshes, this Browser_PC's probably met that type before...

D'uh...

One fun part of unearthing old Poser models is meeting files called eg readme.casual_dress that are actually re-named Word docs...

Nik [ 04 Jul 2008 22:01 ]

Trouble is, Nik, that I should check every file one by one ...

Tormie [ 04 Jul 2008 22:07 ]
HideWas this topic useful?
Page 1 of 1