Discussion about remapped Posettes

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Discussion about remapped Posettes

#1  Tormie 29 May 2007 20:18

There was some debates here and elsewhere about remapped Posettes, or a Posette that can use a texture made for another character and tonight I feel in the mood to write what I think about it.

There wouldn't be any difference in the shape of a texture map if the texture map is well made, the only reason why big companies like DAZ decided to make different texture maps for their new character is clearly because they didn't want that the new character's texture would be compatible with another character, that is no good for businness.

I like the original texture map for Posette because it's very easy, one can see at the first glance where the texture will appear on the 3d figure, the other maps are only confusing, they seem to me like a dismembered baloon put on a plain paper, they are clearly made in a way that only a professional user can create a good texture with that shape.

And above all, I don't know if there are real good textures shared for free for a commercial product like the Victoriae serie from DAZ. Soliciting the users to use a product that costs money for their beloved Posette is a way to enlarge the businness. In my personal way of thinking these things are a no no because Posette, as Penny and the other character that come with the Poser installation are the perfect figures for people that have little money and want to have fun making artistic pictures, that is the spirit of this place, or , better it's useless to be swindled paying a lot of money for a product that is no use out of a professional job and when the same result can be made with a free product.

This is the reason why I like the Posette clones that add something to the original Posette, like better joints, addition of parts like buttock or dentures, better polygons but I don't see any use of a different shape of the texture map because, personally, I prefer to use simple products, things that I can modify myself, for my Posettes   . I think Posette is the last human figure that is "easy" enough for all the audience of the 3D world.

Another consideration, I looked at the way the last figures are made: there is no difference with a Posette, the difference is only on the number of polygons, so if you don't make figures big enough to show the pores of the figures there is no difference in the final result: the "technology" is the same, the number of polygons is the only thing that changes. So till there won't be a significant change in the way the figure is made (polygons) there is no reason for me to change my beloved Posette and her texture map.

I hope to see in the future Posettes that are "deeply" enanched in a way that our pictures can be better and made in an easeir way  

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Discussion about remapped Posettes

#2  ahjah 29 May 2007 20:53

Well spoken, Davide. this is exactly, what I feel (with a little limitation. I think V2 style mapping is o.K., cos it's the same as Judy/Penny mapping, and they look good on NEAena, too. But I still prefere the native P4)

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#3  Tormie 29 May 2007 20:59

I don't have anything against this clones but as far as I'm concerned they are not remapped Posette but Victoriae with Posette's shape  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  ahjah 29 May 2007 21:16

I like the italian/ latin plural, you using for Victoria

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#5  Tormie 30 May 2007 05:14

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

Post Re: Discussion About Remapped Posettes

#6  balaoo 18 Jun 2007 02:41

Hey friends. have you seen the PosetteV3 and the P4DukeM3 on Renderosity? (Wonderful remapped figures by dphoadley) Now you can have the best of both worlds!! (And you can download them for free!)

balaoo Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 70
Lemons 35
hearts 0

#7  Tormie 18 Jun 2007 09:16

Yes, thank you but I've no money to buy decent textures for V3-something or M3-something and I think that the original textures of Posette and Dork are simpler to modify or make yourself.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  rayera 18 Jun 2007 13:40

Good discusion here    thanks tormie
I live in a country where one dollar is tree time my money and an Euro four times, so when I buy something I must think twice if it deserve the money I pay, I love Poser native characters, everyone of them Love Posette and Dork they works great in my not so Powerful PC and the true is I don't see now the need for a V4, if I want a hi poli count character, with my Poser 7 comes The beautiful Sydney, but anyway Posette and Mr D have that I don't know what that makes them so apreciated, think abut it: there are people doing things for Posette, even remapping her to give her more versatility and nobody use Victoria 2 anymore, why nobody is doing stuff or remapping her?    simply because Posette is in general a better character.
I'm a freestuff fanatic, and I have a lot of free textures for V3, some of them of a very hi qualitie, like the mari-e ones at Renderosity free stuff with 9 beautifull set of textures with a lof of make up variation each one; I, like Tormie, think that the one texture for Posette and easy of use distribution of UVs for Original Posette is great for beginners, and very easy of use, but the true is I think Posette is there, and the posibilitie os her using other characters UVs gives her more versatility; this is specially notorious on Dork, I don't have many textures for him in the native UVs, I don't have much for M3, but I have some good free ones.
I really agree with Tormie and ahjah point of view, I understand what they mean, but in my case this remapped characters helps Posette and Dork still being in the Poser community, new users that didn't have the posibility to have all the great free textures that once were available for them now can still use Posette and D with others textures, and believe tormie, there are a lot of free good textures for M3 and V3 and in this crazy world of Poser in not a long time nobody will use M3 or V3 any more but there textures will be used on Posette and Dork yet  

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#9  Posy 18 Jun 2007 13:40

You really do? I'm glad we agree. You and your Tormie and ahjah point of view I understand what they mean but in my case this remapped characters helps Posette and Dork still being in the Poser community new users that did not have the posibility to have all the great free textures that once were available for them now can still use Posette and D with others textures and believe tormie there are a lot of free good textures for M3 and V3 and in this crazy world of Poser in not a long time nobody will use M3 or V3 any more but there textures will be used on Posette and Dork yet grin.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#10  rayera 18 Jun 2007 13:41

Yes, I do    

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#11  Tormie 18 Jun 2007 19:24

Ok rayera, everyone has it's own point of view, I like to work on the texture, even if I've to say that the work I do is often for Posy   only. However I can't work on the textures post V2 because in order to make them not compatible with the old version they are just crazy made, and I can't figure out how they can look on the character, I've not big resources here so the only way should be to make a change on the texture and then render the charater with this texture on, it take a lot of time to me. I could  use a "quick" character for a picture, for example people walking on the street using this remapped character. I agree that Posette is very well made, but i don't think the same for the Dork, there are something wrong in the chest area that has not been solved, also in the Pitklad's characters, and in general I could use the Dork for aged character, old people, or fantasy characters. Personally I would thank someone that would "evolve" really Posette, for example with exactly the same shape (so that one could transfer the morphs using a program like "the tailor"), more poligons and fixed joints, that's all I need. Some times ago we talked about a program that can duplicate the number of polygons in an obj, I would try it if someone remembers the name !  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#12  Posy 18 Jun 2007 19:24

I am sure you could.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#13  Tormie 18 Jun 2007 19:24

Thank you       !

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

Post Re: Discussion About Remapped Posettes

#14  GrouchoCaesar 18 Jun 2007 20:00

In my own limited experience with these characters, I have to say while that the P4F character is what I use most of the time, I do have uses for the others.

I use V2 frequently, because I have a use for some of her full-body morphs (not every girl is thin, you know...) , and it was inexpensive to get clothes that could morph along with her.  At least she has all her morphs built it, and her texture map is simple to alter.  Yes, it is relatively hard to find freebies for her, but I've acquired enough good-quality ones to make her use worthwhile.

(I do have V3, and I was given V4 for Xmas.  I rarely use V3 because she is memory intensive, and until my RAM upgrade I didn't like wasting resources on her.  V4 hasn't been installed at all, and likely won't be for some time.)

I think that V2 and Posette actually complement each other quite well, as any technique that can be used on one of their texture maps can be duplicated on the other with little hassle.

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#15  rayera 18 Jun 2007 23:37

Tormie: you can increase the poligon count in Blender keeping the UV mapping, but then you must recreate the groups, and that's a long work for me, maybe not that hard but time consuming,Anyway what I did was export the scene to Blender, increase the poli count and fixed some defects with the sculpting tool, then set the materials and rendered, unfortunately I don't have the .blend file or the render I deletted them by accident, all was in the same folder, I even painted the texture in Blender, it was an experiment, nothing so complex, just something I was trying.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Remapped P4NM For M3 Textures rico The Dork's garage 3 25 Feb 2022 07:26 View latest post
rico
No new posts Find some Posettes oldies here. Nex Interesting links 6 20 Feb 2006 07:37 View latest post
No new posts Sticky: [List] of all the Posettes around the world! Tormie The Posette Playground 13 23 Jun 2007 10:10 View latest post
Tormie
No new posts Sticky: [Tutorial] Techniques used to create "... pangor 3D Nightmares... Or... The little sculptor 4 01 Apr 2005 00:35 View latest post

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next