A Surfeit Of Vertices...

A Surfeit Of Vertices...
Article
Post A Surfeit Of Vertices... 

So my Renderosity search found a classic 'pointy' thing, free and ready to unzip into Poser props...

First surprise was how lonnnnn-n-n-n-nn-nnn-nnnng it took to load into scene. Granted this Browser_PC is no speed-demon, with only 768 Mb of slow RAM and a near-geriatric processor, but you've seen the sets I've made...

Then it popped up asking me to locate a missing texture...

Well, other than that, it looked okay. I thought a couple of bent whatsits would look good hanging skew from target. Easy-peasy, I thought, convert the OBJ to 3DS, load into Draw3D, put a bend in it, take it back...

Okay, but the mesh info was inside the PP2, and there was a *lot* of it. Too much to copy/paste, I decided. So I ran 'GeomStripper' to get a stand-alone OBJ, then CR2Edit (1.51) to find that in Geometries. Two benefits: I offloaded the scene for multiple objects, and I could get at the mesh. Now I could use 3D Object Convertor. Mesh took a lonnnng time to load, even longer to save as 3DS...

Draw3D took a lonnnng time to load the object, showed a mass of vertices. Zooming showed more, more and yet more vertices. I ran the 'remove duplicate vertices', removed 500, or 5%. Hey, this for two slim cylinders and two cones ?? Got worse: When I tried to manipulate the mesh, the vertices were so close-packed, I could not see what I was doing...

Yes, I made a bent version, but that surfeit of vertices made it impracticable to re-texture in Draw3D or Poser...

In the end, I deleted original and variants from Poser, found a lower-poly spear for the Big Bad Bugs scenes...
D'uh...

Nik [ 07 Jun 2008 15:31 ]

A Surfeit Of Vertices...
Comments
As Bertrand Russel said, it must have taken ages for people to realize that a brace of pheasants and a couple of days are both instances of the number "two. "Why now? I am sure you could.

Posy [ 07 Jun 2008 15:32 ]
HideWas this topic useful?
Page 1 of 1