Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

Page 1 of 1

Post Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#1  Nik 09 Apr 2017 00:35

http://3dviewer.net/

Digging through archived freebies, it can be very, very hard to identify what is in an obscurely named zip. Matching a zip to an anonymous thumbnail is even worse...

I don't mind unzipping files to a temporary directory. Then, problems begin...

Bad enough when there's a tiny, tiny thumbnail PNG with scant detail. Really old files lack even those, but there's a free 'RSR to PNG' utility on eg SCG that will search a directory tree...

What can you do when there's only an OBJ or 3DS mesh, perhaps with a MTL file ?

Though Wings is very powerful, it seems to lack a 'fit to screen' tool. Also, you cannot 'drag & drop' OBJ to the program, you must import such. This is very tedious...

I had a quickie 'OBJ viewer' utility from my P4 days; it won't work in Win 8+.

Google found a free on-line tool, URL above. Drag and drop your OBJ file onto their web-page like a Google image search, and up pops the mesh. You can rotate it, too...

Job done !!

ps: If you're desperate, you can do a screen capture with {shift} PrtSc, paste into eg IrfanView, crop and save. I still haven't figured how to make the Wings' equivalent work...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#2  ahjah 09 Apr 2017 21:43

Thanks a lot, looks interesting

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

Post Re: Online 3DS, OBJ, STL Viewer.

#3  Nik 10 Apr 2017 02:52

Make that really, Really, REALLY useful.

Have now spent umpteen hours trying to untangle a vast downloads directory that some-how collected ~3500 files, a ghastly mix of ZIP, '7', RAR, JPGs & PNGs...

I think I downloaded most of these while VERY ill with 'flu this Spring...

Now the thing about SCG & R**y freebies is that their ZIP files have a name of sorts, but the piccies have numbers.

So, how do you match them ??

After some thought, and having twin screens, I put that directory sorted by type on one screen, sorted by date on the other.

At least this put many downloads from the each session adjacent...

Then it became a question of creating new sub-directories for each freebie, prefixed alien, bad (*), boat, bomb, bottle, box, coffin, drum, FX, gun, jar, set (**), tech, truck, vase, zoo etc etc...

Grab some 'low hanging fruit' and multi-packs first, then just grind through, hour after hour...

I've just managed to get the directory's file-count down below 2000, and the filing system is running *much* faster...

Upside, I've collected a lot of duplicates; either I was dozy, or I got the same freebie from both SCG & R**y. I just shove those in with their 'twin'.

Many others, I had to put in a sub-directory, unzip and inspect their OBJs. Workflow was significantly helped by the online viewer. Sadly, it is not quite clever enough to unpack & view an OBJ dragged from a zipped file...

==
*) Bad: uptie stuff, a heroine's occupational hazard.
**) Set: film-set as-is, or sundry props to populate it...

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Free OBJ viewer ahjah Interesting links 2 11 Sep 2006 19:34 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts Free Autodesk FBX Viewer. Nik Interesting links 1 08 Jun 2020 14:30 View latest post
Nik
No new posts Mesh Format Viewer / Conversion. Nik Interesting links 25 19 Jan 2020 21:44 View latest post
Nik
No new posts Landman online.... Forever... Tormie The Posetteforever diary 9 28 Apr 2004 21:05 View latest post
tda42
No new posts Funny online games TdaC The Posetteforever diary 4 19 Apr 2006 12:43 View latest post

Page 1 of 1