Bad Dream

Bad Dream
Article
Post Bad Dream 

Time: Future.

So, there I am, working with the *BIG* Tesla coil, the conjugate mirror and the ferrite-array phase-shift module, when there's a loud POP and FLASH--

When I finish coughing ozone and checking for damage from that arc-over's ball lightning, I notice I'm not alone in my cellar workshop any more.

He's Mid-Eastern, dressed in swirly silks, doesn't look like a typical Jihadist. His ornamental belt-knife is a bit on the scimitar-sized.

He didn't come through the door: Opening my cellar's Faraday Cage cuts the power.

He is *slightly* transparent...

I glance over to the optical bench and the holography table, there's nothing running.

''D'uh, hello...'' I offer, ''Are you a Time Traveller ?''

''YOUR KIND WOULD--''

Plaster dust and dried blue-tack blobs shower from the ceiling. The Faraday Cage shrieks, buzzes, rattles and clatters like a Heavy Metal concert during accidental feedback.

He gulps, tries again at a level below painful, ''Ahem: Your kind would call me Genie or Afriit.''

''Er, Hello, Howdy, Salaam, Bonjour, Guten Tag, whatever: What brings you to my humble workshop ?''

''My ectoplasm was running low.''
''Ah, I might be able to rig a feed, but...''

''No, no... I have derived ample nutrition from your sparkly device.'' He chuckled. Rather than sounding jolly, that had subsonics like a funnel cloud...

''May I open the door for you to leave ?''
''Not yet.'' He chuckled again, ''Are you ignorant of the old legends ?''
''None of my business.'' I shrugged, ''I can offer you coffee, but only Instant. There's some yoghurt and bread rolls in the fridge that should comply with Islamic food rules. I've some tinned chicken & mushroom soup in the cupboard, salt on the table, water in the tap...''

''Too kind !!'' He chuckles, ''You are a cool one-- Are you a Wizard ?''
''I'm an Amateur Scientist, is all.'' I sighed, ''But I suppose we've evolved from those old Alchemists...''
''Ah, you follow the Alexandrian Tradition ?''
''Figured the Earth was round, got a fair estimate ? Now, THEY were real smart. I'm just a hobbyist-- I do this for fun.''
''You stand on the shoulders of giants-- and know it.''

''Too kind.'' I nodded, ''But you look as if you have something else on your mind...''
''Ahem...'' He chuckled, ''I am required to return a kindness for a kindness.''
''Well, it was the best ball-lightning toroid that rig's blown in months, CCTV caught it, I reckon we're even.''
''But I did not ask: I am obliged to you.''
''So.... ??''
''You get a Wish.''

''No, thank you.'' I stated, ''You've also given me material for a short story, we're well even.''
''You do not want a Wish ?''
''Look...'' I waved around, ''Science don't work on Wishes, I'd be dishonest, I'd be cheating.''

He puzzled, ''You are old: Do you not wish for Youth ?''
''Hey, I'm not that old, not for this era !! I've several active decades ahead of me-- D'uh, and to be young and foolish again ? Think with my hormones instead of my head ? No thanks !! I might not be so lucky this time around !!''

''Ah, you are a Philosopher.''
''If you like...'' I shrugged, ''Took me long enough to garner the rudiments of wisdom...''
''Then would you have Wisdom ?''
''I'm only human-- it would drive me mad.''
''Fame ?''
''Don't like fuss. Or crowds. Also, there is Fame and Fame.''
''Ah, you are modest, too... Fortune ?''
Again, I waved around, ''This came from my pocket-money. I'm not poor. If I had more, it would only go as tax. Worse, I'd need to explain getting rich suddenly.''

''Your people have a Lottery--''
''Dishonest.''
He inclined his head in salute, glanced beyond the walls, ''You write stories ? Do you not wish fame thus ?''
''They're not bad, some are quite good, but they're not Commercial.''
''You wrote a novel ? Surely many would pay to read it ?''
''Niche subject: I'm not ashamed of it, but it is NOT best-seller material. No way will I go to the Vanity Press. Leave it as an e-zine.''
''Hmm... Your wife is sick ? You do not Wish her well ?''

''I would if I could, but there is 'improbable' and 'impossible'. Wednesdays, she's in day-care. I've done the shopping, I've time to play.''
''She is dying ?''
''No more than you or I... She just collects medical problems-- One damn thing on top of another...''
''My Powers are great--''
''So have a look, if you like, but no obligation.''

He faded to invisibility. I checked the Tesla for burns, reset the breakers in the capacitor-pack's charger.

''Ahem...'' He was back, ''About that novel ??''

-------------
And, yes, I know it is derivative, but ...

Nik [ 07 Dec 2007 20:39 ]

Bad Dream
Comments
Post Re: Bad Dream 

Just when it was going, you stopped....

Chromium [ 28 Jun 2016 16:50 ]
HideWas this topic useful?
Page 1 of 1