Just a note about me absence....

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

#16  Bonnie 20 Jan 2005 01:21

Those are pretty much what I found when I looked.

Den is now the alpha "luddite".  
Always looking for ways to crash his computer.  

It's him versus the chips    
The chips (not the potato kind) are winning

blank.gif Bonnie Gender: Female
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 990
Lemons 1005
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  Hawktoey 20 Jan 2005 02:26

Hawktoey Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1530
Lemons 1137
hearts 0

#18  Paul Mon 21 Jan 2005 11:49

Well...I upgraded my comp over the weekend from 98se to XP Home and it's running better than ever. I was surprised how well it identified all my hardware and Uru: Beyond Myst runs much better as do Poser and my other programs. I have heard of problems with the SP2 upgrade but I have no personal experience of this. It is a right royal pain to go through all the reformatting and installing all the programs though
Did you have FAT32 or NTFS?

Last edited by Paul Mon on 21 Jan 2005 11:51; edited 1 time in total 
blank.gif Paul Mon Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2250
Lemons 1517
hearts 0

#19  Landman 21 Jan 2005 15:56

Quote:

Well...I upgraded my comp over the weekend from 98se to XP Home and it's running better than ever. I was surprised how well it identified all my hardware and Uru:

Just make sure when you run Service Pack 2, to close all other programs, turn off any screen savers, hybernation and stand by, anything that may interupt the install because on a fast machine the innitial install takes approx. 45 minutes. it could be longer on a slower machine. also as a side note, SP2 enables the windows firewall by default, so if you have problems with any virus software updating or any network utility not working correctly, that would be a good place to start trouble shooting. secondly, the NTFS file system is the better and faster one. I don't recommend compression as i have had problems with hard drive crashes when I enabled it. just remember that any FAT or FAT32 file allocation table dependant operating system will not be able to see the NTFS partition without XP running to share it.

My grey matter is turning white, my proof is my grey hair....

Landman Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 9180
Lemons 5100
hearts 0

#20  Hawktoey 22 Jan 2005 05:42

NTFS is always choosen method for me. I have a notebook and it's running WinXP Pro SP2. The first time SP2 installed it crashed my hard drive after it re-booted the system and I had to start over again with it. But that wasn't so bad as I do all updates before installing any other software. So it was only a matter of re-installing XP. The second time I did not allow it to re-boot my machine when it was finished. I let the computer sit for about five minutes after that then re-booted and it took fine. Notebook is running like a champ but I cannot use a couple of programs on it that I do my desktop. This is alright also as those programs require a higher screen resolution than the 1024 x 768 that the notebook offers.

Hawktoey Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1530
Lemons 1137
hearts 0

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Just a note to say thanks Whazizname The Posetteforever diary 4 26 Aug 2006 21:04 View latest post
tda42
No new posts My absence The Mighty Zeus Shebeen, the Staff forum 25 16 Jan 2006 00:50 View latest post
No new posts An apology for my absence The Mighty Zeus The Posetteforever diary 9 24 May 2006 13:09 View latest post
ahjah

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2