What is Helloween about?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post What is Helloween about?

#1  erenda 04 Oct 2005 09:23

Yes , it's stupid to ask that why when I can use Google but I want to hear some personal impressions. So what is this holiday about and what does it means to you?   

erenda 

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Tormie 04 Oct 2005 10:12

Here ? It's not a traditional thing here , but if there is fun I'm present       !!

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  posfan 04 Oct 2005 13:48

It's not traditional here, too. But it's getting more and more popular, especially since November 1st is an official holiday so there's enough time for celebrating  

blank.gif posfan Gender: Female
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 5565
Lemons 998
hearts 217

#4  JanReinar 04 Oct 2005 13:56

It is the same here! It's not a official holiday or a tradicional date but 27/09 is a tradicional Brazilian date to give candies to the children and the candy traders made a strong effort to increase Halloween popularity.  

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#5  Tormie 04 Oct 2005 21:03

Yuhm !! Candies !

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  JanReinar 04 Oct 2005 22:33

Maybe they could pay free air tickets from Italy insted produce Fantasy Parties!  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#7  Tormie 04 Oct 2005 23:22

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  Posy 04 Oct 2005 23:23

Hmm.  I lost my train of thought.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#9  Tormie 04 Oct 2005 23:23

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#10  JanReinar 05 Oct 2005 00:32

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#11  rayera 05 Oct 2005 01:12

The same like in Brazil (JanReinar) here in Argentina, is not traditional here, and the candy brands spend a lot of money trying to make it popular with special offers and ornaments in every shop, small or big, (specially a big brand called Arcor), but the true is the people and specially the childs are a little indiferent to it, the true is only some dance clubs and discos do some parties with costumes, personally I don't care it too much by now I know we have some more fun and nice special days like the friend days, the spring day, the childs day, carnaval (much more fun in Brazil   , isn't it John?) and the sweetnes day ( a kiss for a candy)         

Enyway, it's good that every society has their own traditions, respect them, and not to try to impose it to others just for comercials matters

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#12  JanReinar 05 Oct 2005 01:15

I have to agree rayera!

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#13  pangor 05 Oct 2005 03:47

Halloween began as an ancient pagen holy day called "All Hallow Eve" usually pronounced "Alls Hallow Eve".  It was in the ancient calanders known as a tween time, a between time.  Tween places and tween times were considered where and when the supernatural powers would be strongest.  Some groups of withches held their sabeths on "All Hallow Eve" and others used "All Hallow" (the next night)

Halloween was once considered the night that the dead and other spirits walk the world again, often seeking revenge or hungering for the living.  To appease them, food would be left outside the door that night to feed the spirits and dead so that they would not harm those living in that house.

It was considered that if someone would travel outside on that night, he would not survive unharmed, killed, consumed by evil, disappear, or become posessed.  Those who did go out on that night would dress like the dead so that the spirits would not know he is alive abd they would leave him alone.

With the arrival of Christanity, many of the older holidays were assorbed into the new religion and made to have a more Christian feel.  By having Christian Holy days on the same days as those of the older religions was an attempt to make it difficult for some one to become a Christian and still honor the older Religions and to confus the memories of the older holy days, so that they would fade away into history.  All Hallow Eve and All Hallow became the Christian holy days of obligation named "All Saints Day"

As time went by, the seriousness of the old holy day now called Halloween was forgotten.  The habit of dressing as the dead for protection evolved into the costumes more silly than scary or goulish.  In some countries it faded away completely, in others parades of costumed people (similar to the old custom of the fools parade on all fools day) who would call on dwellings from hovels to castles and would be given food.

With the discovery of the Aztecs by Europeans, one of their holy days for the dead became the Mexican holy day called the "Day of the Dead".  A side effect of that contact, the connection of Halloween and the dead was restored.

Currently in America, Halloween is softened to a day for costume parties, childern playing "Trick-or-Treat", and pranks.  "Trick-or-Treat" is a traditional game where childern will dress up in costumes and go from house to house ringing door bells.  When the door is opend they call out "Trick or Treat!".  They will be given candies or apples, etc. That is the Treat.  If there is no answer or not treats are given, they are now expected to go away, but by tradition they will play a prank, that is the "Trick".

Starting when I was a child, "Trick-or-Treat" in its traditional form has been fading into history.  Due to incidents reported into news where childern were given apples with razor blades in them, or candies and other treats laced with poison or narcotics.  The candy companies are trying to keep "Trick-or-Treat" alive.

The costume parties and scary themes and such are more common these days, and of yes the idiots who think they can cause all kind of trouble on that day and night and call it all good fun.

Pangor

pangor 

#14  Posy 05 Oct 2005 03:48

Yet there is not.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban