Mouse vs. Keyboard commands

Page 1 of 1

Post Mouse vs. Keyboard commands

#1  erenda 02 Dec 2006 03:45

Ok , my professor was speaking about the use of the mouse and keyboard commands during some lecture. So I wonder which do you use the most. I'm not asking what do you use more while working with 3D software , it's pretty obvious , but what do you use while working in Windows/Linux/other more lets say with some office feature like a text editor. Which do you think is more comfortable. What do you think of people who demonstratively refuse to use the mouse at all (for ex. not using the mouse while in Corel Draw or PS)? On the other hand is using ONLY the mouse a sing of ....emmm....just lazyness and refusal to learn new ways to work with an operating system. Or is it just a question of generation's diffrence? Sure , people who had worked with computers before there was a mouse are probably too used to push keyboard buttons.

Oh btw am I the only one who has the habit to search for Ctrl+Z after doing some terrible mistake while painting at hand (or falsificating documents) or saying loud "Undo! Undo!" ?      

erenda 

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Mouse Vs. Keyboard Commands

#2  Whazizname 02 Dec 2006 04:20

Good question!

I am somewhere in the middle; I have been using computers for quite a long time; and am therefore comfortable with many keyboard commands. I also use specialized "mice"; specificly: a "Kensington Turboball", which has 5 buttons, a wheel, and a trackball(buttons & wheel are programmable); and a Contour "Shuttle Pro", which has 13 buttons, and a jog/shuttle dial (all are programmable). The programmable features of the mice are set up for the applications that i use; so I do not have to do many "keyboard shortcuts" on the keyboard.

Now having said that, ... I use a combination of keyboard, turboball, & shuttle pro in all applications.

usa.png Whazizname Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 5290
Lemons 3860
hearts 101

Post Re: Mouse vs. Keyboard commands

#3  erenda 02 Dec 2006 18:53

Whazizname wrote: [View Post]
I also use specialized "mice"; specificly: a "Kensington Turboball", which has 5 buttons, a wheel, and a trackball(buttons & wheel are programmable); and a Contour "Shuttle Pro", which has 13 buttons, and a jog/shuttle dial (all are programmable).

Emm...aren't those buttons confusing?  

erenda 

#4  Whazizname 02 Dec 2006 19:19

Very rarely are the buttons confusing/ confused.
Each type of application has similar keystrokes for similar actions; and of course there are the standards... Crtl+z {actually Cmd+z for me; though I always say, and teach "Apple+z"), Crtl+s, Crtl+n, ..., etc.

usa.png Whazizname Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 5290
Lemons 3860
hearts 101

Post Re: Mouse vs. Keyboard commands

#5  ahjah 03 Dec 2006 08:41

I have to say, I'm preferring the mouse ( two buttons and a wheel) for most of the time, simply more intuitive than the keys. But in apps I'm using a lot, such as Poser and PSP or my text editor, I have the right hand at the mouse and the left at the keyboard for the hotkeys

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#6  GrouchoCaesar 03 Dec 2006 09:36

Being brought up on keyboards way before I ever saw a mouse, I have to say that the keyboard is quicker once you memorise the keys.  One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about dealing with 3D software came from an old 'how-to' book on Imagine 3.0 by Steven  Worley, who said the best way to memorize keys for any software was to use the mouse to find the command and THEN use the relevant keystroke. Have to say it worked quite well.

Besides, being a writer, it's just plain unnatural for me to take my fingers from the keys unless really neccessary...

GrouchoC.

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic