Aggravated Confessions Of A Stereoscope Fiend

Page 1 of 1

Post Aggravated Confessions Of A Stereoscope Fiend

#1  GrouchoCaesar 24 Apr 2012 03:26

In November 2010 I bought a neat little camera - the Real3D W3 stereoscopic beastie from Fujifilm - and it's been really, really fun to play with.  It's the first camera I've grown fond enough to take with me everywhere I go for no other reason than I can.  Even though I have a couple of other cameras on me at all times - my N95 phone from Nokia and my iTouch - I never bother with them because, well... they are just so ... meh.

There is something very cool about 3D photography.  It takes a little more work to get a really good 3D image, and I'm still only used to using idiot mode on the camera because there is so much you can fiddle around with.  But all in all, I'm getting good results already and I'm improving bit by bit as I go.

Shame it is so hard to share your 3D work with others...

For a couple of years now I've been the proud possessor of a kick-ass 3D TV and Blu-Ray setup.  It's stunning to watch most 3D Blu-Rays on, fun to play 3D PS3 Games on...  And that's it.

I can view my 3D snaps on the TV via my camera and an HDMI cable, which is all right, I suppose.  Or I can import them into Playstation Play Memories and view them that way.  But it would be nice to be able to chuck 'em on a USB stick and take 'em to (say) a local TV store, and show them to others.  Can't do it.  Samsung TV's - in all their stupidity - won't recognize the .MPO file format that has become the de facto standard for 3D images these days.  Nor will they correctly process the 3D AVI movies that my camera can record.  In fact, there is no official way you can show any 3D still image on a Samsung 3D TV in 3D.

There are painful, long-winded ways of viewing 'non-standard' 3D files on a Samsung TV if you are prepared to fiddle around with file conversions and manually futzing around with the 3D viewing settings on the TV.  If your file is the correct width and height and ratio... maybe.

My next 3D TV will NOT be Samsung... believe it.

(This rant comes after a long and eventually futile attempt to find a quick way of previewing stereoscopic Poser or 3D Max renders on my TV.  NOT IMPRESSED. AT ALL. SERIOUSLY.)

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Aggravated Confessions Of A Stereoscope Fiend

#2  ahjah 24 Apr 2012 16:57

about that time my Sis' best friend's hubby got himself the very same camera. For about two month he shot almost everything he could get, since then it's sleeping in some drawer.
He already had asked me if I wanted to buy it, for a nice price, but I denied. I don't even have the hardware to view the pics properly myself. Still, I prefer old fashioned 2D when it comes to photography, showing the 3rd dimension by focus control, DOF, and POV. For some 3D I do it the hard way. Two separate pics put together by some software (I use free Anamaker) to view with red/cyan or similar. It's simple, cheap and it's fun   
But then, that's LowTech...
On the other hand, REAL 3D would be beneath MM in the subway tunnel

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#3  tda42 25 Apr 2012 13:30

I have a 3D 42 inch LED and it is awesome. But I have seen people using two video cameras together to produce 3D. Anyone know of a place that shows this set up? I have seen JVC and Sony with 3D cameras but I have 2 JVCs that are the same. Just need an idea on a bracket to set it up to work.   .

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#4  GrouchoCaesar 02 May 2012 23:36

There isn't much information out there on the net on how to set up the rig you are thinking of...

The only real issue is that if you are taking video in 3D, the cameras MUST be recording in sync, or you will get very bad results.  If the JVCs you are using can be electronically synched together then that won't be a problem.

Still shots are not so complicated.

Editing the video... now that is another matter entirely.

I'll keep looking - some of the stuff I have uncovered is interesting to read, and giving me ideas.

new_zealand.png GrouchoCaesar Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 3170
Lemons 1807
hearts 45

#5  tda42 03 May 2012 00:50

I had seen at one time a rig that held two cameras. I have a remote that will turn both on at the same time. Also there is a software I had that aloud you to use the left and right to work at the same time. But I have never tried it. Because of the bracket I need to hold the camcorders. I know they have a JVC and Sony out that has 3D with two lenses but wanted to use mine instead of paying $1000.00 or better to do the same thing. You do know Poser can be set up to run animated 3D on a 3D LCD set two didn't you?  

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#6  ahjah 03 May 2012 01:10

... you may use a microphone rigg. The kind you use to attach two mics to a common mic stand , just thinking...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#7  tda42 03 May 2012 10:02

You know that might work. But I need it on a tripod for stable work. But yes it might be done working with the camcorders while mobile. The trick is not to move the cameras at all times so the 3D will be stable.   Thanks Andreas.    

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910