DAZ has just Bought Bryce

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post DAZ has just Bought Bryce

#1  tda42 24 Jun 2004 13:10

Just got the word about bryce 5.It has been bought by DAZ 3D and I think it's going on sale.Not sure how much but if they can get Poser to work with it then boy talk about background and environment possiblities.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  pbnj 24 Jun 2004 18:16

in the plat club newletter daz was making cryptic comments about them and a 'new' merger/purchase blah, blah, bascially the rambled on saying we've got something cool up our sleeve but we can't tell you anything about it right now becuz of legal reasons.

a friend and i spent the rest of the evening speculating on it being about bryce and if it were what our wishlist items/features would be, heh.      so far so good.     the sale price is awesome (tho in my currect financial situtation I can't even afford it at that price   ) and they've got a plugin for pulling your Poser people into bryce.   no more hour long trials of export, import, locate and assign material/trans/bump, etc, etc, etc.  man that was a PAIN. ohohoho this is going to be veryyyyyyy nice, me thinks.

if anyone gets it i would love to hear what they think and what might have changed from the 'old' bryce 5, and how well the import tool works too!      

blank.gif pbnj Gender: Female
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1610
Lemons 1189
hearts 0

#3  Posy 24 Jun 2004 18:16

How well do you know this friend.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#4  Deviant_Viking 24 Jun 2004 19:05

DAZ acted like buying bryce was the news of the century in the Poser world.
The plugin sounds nice, but considering the absurdly long rendering times bryce has, and seeing some of the stuff other environmental programs like Vue can do, bryce is rather obsolete these days

Deviant_Viking Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

#5  pbnj 24 Jun 2004 19:23

ive got my bryce hooked up into 3 computer now, heh so render time isn't an issue anymore really.     im loving my mini render farm,

but before hand my main issue would be with mirror reflections.  water and skies were slow but it didn't cripple my machine the way mirrors would.  i know its not top of the line, much like Poser itself, but both are nice for the prices charged.

Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1610
Lemons 1189
hearts 0

#6  Tormie 24 Jun 2004 21:02

I think Wheelchair is the bryce master here so I'm curious to read his opinion, I can't say a lot about this news, I've the bryce 5 cd in my collection and sometimes I remove the dust from it...

So where "Poser Studio" is gone now ?? I tried it but I don't like the interface a single bit...

Last edited by Tormie on 24 Jun 2004 21:03; edited 1 time in total 
it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  Deviant_Viking 24 Jun 2004 21:26

Just found out that the Poser plugin is for daz studio, and not Poser.
so much for the plugin....  

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

#8  Ozymandias Jones 25 Jun 2004 00:10

When I heard the news it made sense from DAZ's point of view. If they could get Studio and bryce to work together seamlessly then they will more than likely have powerful and commercially acceptable product to compete with Poser and its possible future releases.

For a Poser community point of view, it just split the users into two groups, each following their favourite software developer... the 'site wars' will looke like child's play if this gets going

Interesting development, but of little use to me.

Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

blank.gif Ozymandias Jones Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 12510
Lemons 7905
hearts 10

#9  Posy 25 Jun 2004 00:10

Thanks for telling me that gossip. I will remember it. Let's wait and see what they do.

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#10  tda42 25 Jun 2004 00:58

My thought on it is if
1.It was Poser friendly and worked with all Poser had to offer.
2.There is animation, My main thing, If it can import the model and animation BVH in to bryce for the Poser models to move through the landscape etc.Vue uses Mover 4 and 5 to do this and it was the most important thing that I wanted from bryce 5.So I guess I'm ready for 6 then.Vue is very good but in some cases to look at the meshes I find sometimes it to be a hassle.Any one know of a walk designer to import Poser models animation and meshes to the original bryce 5?

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#11  Deviant_Viking 25 Jun 2004 06:08

Ozymandias Jones";p="10750 wrote: 
If they could get Studio and bryce to work together seamlessly then they will more than likely have powerful and commercially acceptable product to compete with Poser and its possible future releases.

An aging environemtal app and a still-beta Poser knockoff... excuse me if I'm not overly confident about.

Studio isn't even past beta. Poser is version 5, with v.6 in the works. This just seems like a desperate attempt on DAZ's side to trick people to use Studio

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

#12  pbnj 25 Jun 2004 14:09

I'm not a daz hater or a daz lover, though Poser communities seem to be becoming more divided in this vein everyday.     So this isn't really a defense of them but more of what I've seen and experienced, so with that said...

It doesn't really seem like a trick to use d|s to me.  You can try it and if you don't like it, don't use it.  And it least you're not out any money (with d|s I mean, not the plugin).  Programs take time to develop, lots of time.  So yes it's still in beta.  And with only a handful of people willing to solidly venture away from the familiar grounds of Poser I'm sure it's taking longer to get feedback and bugs reported and thus fixed.  

I use Poser 4PP and though I love being able to interact easily with 3D people models and all their lovely accessories and settings... it's crap.  

It's a complete technological POS.  It's buggy, its slow, its severely limited, and it crashed more then windows ME.     It's content and the merchants drove it's popularity, not the program itself.  I have not used 5 but have heard lil better about it then 4 and in some cases have been recommended that upgrading is [i:78c132fbdc]really[/i:78c132fbdc] not worth the cost.  Mores the pity because the materials and hair tools looked worth a try, but again with limitations, uber slow reaction time, and bugginess.

Hash and I by no means have great machines   , we've 'kit-bashed' them all ourselves, and I wouldn't be caught dead with a prefab, heh.  So if there's software out there (or ones that will be out in the future) that aren't just for the new computers I'm all for it.  I only tried d|s for a few days but didn't have a problem with it.  yuh the ui is very different but no worse then the clunkiness of several other programs I use regularly.

If nothing else setting up a scene or animation in Poser, rolling it into d|s and then importing it into bryce.... seems like a lot but it's still gotta be easier then Poser into bryce, heh.     but that's just me.

Last edited by pbnj on 25 Jun 2004 14:17; edited 1 time in total 
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1610
Lemons 1189
hearts 0

#13  Tormie 25 Jun 2004 20:03

I use Poser 5 and I'm happy with the material room and the firefly render. I spent a lot fo time learning the user interface, so I don't want to spend my time on a similar product. I found the Poser interface very simple and intuitive expecially for noobs like me. I also tried lightwave, bryce and Poser Studio but no feeling, so I think to continue in using Poser, is all I need for my pictures. I don't want to feed sites that are selling a Bonnie character, even because she has no a DD cup breast like the original one...       

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#14  tda42 25 Jun 2004 21:56

Amen!Soooo lets talk about Vue4.

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#15  Tormie 25 Jun 2004 22:49

Enough about Vue 4 ! Let's talk about my dress !!

(Ophs...       )

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031