Noobie Here

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Noobie Here

#1  Chromium 19 Nov 2010 14:52

Hi,

Just joined today, found the site yesterday.

Not a Poser user (shh... I just started using DAZ3D, don't tell the locals), sorry!.

I was reading up on 3D art, when I heard about Posette, and Dork. It all sounded quite historical, and I thought that it would be an idea to see where alot of this started and found this great site.

I had to join, and see what I could use (your giving stuff free to boot), including advice and help.

Of course I am just starting and will see how I progress. I may get to do a piece worthy of posting. Got lots to learn first.

Regards.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Noobie Here

#2  Tormie 19 Nov 2010 14:56

Hi Chromium and Welcome

We're a little but friendly community , just ask and we'll help you  

Thank you for your post, it's always nice to meet new friends

Talk later

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  JanReinar 19 Nov 2010 18:18

Be welcomed!  

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

#4  ahjah 19 Nov 2010 19:46

Welcome Chromium

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4140
Lemons 519
hearts 2130

#5  Chromium 23 Nov 2010 00:08

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, your very kind.

Still reading up both here and on the web for more Posette info.

Hoping to find an original Poser 3 or 4, so I can aquire a more genuine Posette, as my Daz3d Victoria, does not count. I have aquired from this site a hybrid Posette for Victoria, as a Posette substitute, but hoping for an original. Any pointers in aquiring one appreciated. Ebay only sells the latest Poser versions (each time I look), perhaps I should be patient.

I am also very amazed at how much stuff is free on the net too, I download some of it, one day it may come in handy (I hope).

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#6  Tormie 23 Nov 2010 00:16

Hi Chromium

If you own a copy of Poser, whatever is the version, you have to search or ask to SmithMicro for the "legacy content" package that is given away for free, it contains all the "old" packages, Posette included. You need it in order to "extract" all the hybrid models (the reference file is P4NudeWoman.obj). Some times ago they gave away Poser 5 for free, I would need that version in Mac format too...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#7  tda42 23 Nov 2010 00:44

Glad you could join us. I have Poser 4 in a box. The object file was at one time just that and then they started with another file extension after Poser 5. But there is a lot to learn but it is a good experience.   If you have a creative side you can have your own character to have. A lot of people have wrote stories including action but the best part of this site is we know people. We make friends and always stay in touch. We are small but the site has a big heart and it is this reason we have been here for a long time while other sites have sad to say, have closed the doors. So welcome and we leave a light on to who ever shows up on the door step.   

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#8  Tormie 23 Nov 2010 11:50

Kenny is right but there is an easy trick to restore the old OBJ format : the new format is .OBZ and is a simple ZIP file, so it's enough to change .OBZ in .ZIP , decompress it and rename it again in .OBJ and here it is   (This can be done for every Poser compressed format, like the .PZZ)

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#9  Kludge 14 Dec 2010 17:05

Tormie wrote: [View Post]
Kenny is right but there is an easy trick to restore the old OBJ format : the new format is .OBZ and is a simple ZIP file, so it's enough to change .OBZ in .ZIP , decompress it and rename it again in .OBJ and here it is   (This can be done for every Poser compressed format, like the .PZZ)

Like Chromium, I don't have Poser (yet) but I do have Daz Studio & bryce - both free versions since that's what I can afford.  Little things like this are pretty cool to know for future reference.  Thanks, Tormie!

And welcome to the board, Chromium ... a little late since I joined a month after you!    This is a great reference site and the people seem friendly enough although in reading some of the posts, I worry some about Posy ...

Best regards,

Kludge

Last edited by Kludge on 14 Dec 2010 17:31; edited 1 time in total 
us.png Kludge Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 60
Lemons 12
hearts 5

#10  Tormie 14 Dec 2010 17:47

I don't use Daz Studio mainly because I'm too lazy for a new learning curve   and yes, it's free, but if you want to make something comparable to Poser you've to empty the pockets for the add-ons . Here at PF we don't advertise for commercial products but we can give suggestions for the essential tools (which Daz Studio and Poser are for sure) . I think that an "old" version of Poser can be found for a very reasonable price and I can say you that if you don't need to render your projects with a very extensive light calculation there is no difference and you can even do the rest with some postwork.
Posettes (      ) looks good whatever is the program used

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#11  Kludge 14 Dec 2010 23:54

Tormie wrote: [View Post]
I don't use Daz Studio mainly because I'm too lazy for a new learning curve   and yes, it's free, but if you want to make something comparable to Poser you've to empty the pockets for the add-ons

Understandable.  I'm at the bottom of the learning well anyway so everything is new.  

Quote:
Here at PF we don't advertise for commercial products but we can give suggestions for the essential tools (which Daz Studio and Poser are for sure).

I'm sorry. I promise to try to not to it anymore.  Since I like open source and GPL software a lot (I'm a pretty strong proponent of them, actually), I forgot it and the other one are commercial since they are free versions.  

Quote:
I think that an "old" version of Poser can be found for a very reasonable price and I can say you that if you don't need to render your projects with a very extensive light calculation there is no difference and you can even do the rest with some postwork.

From what I've read, Poser 3 or 4 will do what I need for now, especially with the extensive libraries of freebies around.

Thanks for the info and being nice about me oops.

Best regards,

Kludge

us.png Kludge Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 60
Lemons 12
hearts 5

Post RE: Noobie Here

#12  Chromium 26 Jan 2011 21:34

Thanks one and all for the advice, and support.

I have finally aquired an original Poser 6, (thanks to ebay), and despite the user interface, am getting to understand why Poser is held in good regard (but much like Kludge), I had only the free Daz Studio, to compare it to, and not the commercial Daz product.

(Kludge: For true opensource there is Blender, have you youtubed Sintel, or Big Bucks Bunny, (I forget the third one). Also Anim8tor, is maturing well too).

However, I must say that I am now going to switch to Poser 6 (it will take a wee while, to settle, as I am still in Daz mode).

Of course, I am happy to report, I now have Posette, amongst my figures (finally I feel justified being in this forum). I also went on the Smithmicro site, and downloaded all the updates for Poser 6, and also I think it was Poser 5 SR3 (it has more figures).

Poser 6, with free Daz figures too, all good stuff.

I have also been reading up on the 3GB switch, and making my Poser 6, Large Address Aware. Very nice to have an old program, and still find that it has support (thanks Smithmicro), and also that as a user I can further modify it for larger scenes (thanks 3GB switch/Large Address Aware).

I have Poser 6, running on my laptop, with a meagre 20GB HD, and shall be putting in a nice new 160GB. I shall put the 20GB, into an external drive caddy, and use that to test initially with which figures and props I want to have before doing a final install on the laptop (at this point I can hear experienced users laughing, as they know we never have a final set up, as we continually add, and change content).

I also have Poser 8 (another ebay bargain), arriving in the works, that can go on the desktop, at some point (though I use the laptop mostly). Introduced my niece to the Poser world too (got her Poser 7 - thanks ebay again). She mocks my P6 Jessi, and James, with her G2 Sydney and Simon. But hey, as long as she knows her Poser history, and respects Posette, I shall not complain. She is a natural for setting up a scene, I may post one of her renderings here before I get one up from me, she is quite talented. I wonder if she may further it and make a career out from this.

I am quite surprised to find myself in this position. Initally I had the free Daz items, for which I am still very grateful. To now be in a position where I feel like I have so much, and much of the content I have is free.

At some point I would like to develop some animation skill with Poser, which spoils me with its' Key Frame Animation (the free Daz, has a very under rated Pupeteer module built in). Also there is the sound adding capability of Poser too. I have seen some good Poser animations on youtube, and it is quite inspiring. It is, I suppose due to my wantng to do some animation, that I of course look to the low resolution figures, and of course Posette. Although I do like certain anime, and Aiko / Hiro, are set up well for that genre. I am happy revisiting the old figures of years past and keeping them in work.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#13  tda42 26 Jan 2011 22:35

Well I am glad you got some toys to play with. Poser 6 is still a great software. I would hold with Poser 9 because there is part of the software in 2010 Pro that uses a flash and is not that great with its window to get your Poser things. So at the moment I would hang with Poser 9. As for your hard drives. I would let the 20 gigs be your software drive and the other be the runtime for your models. The runtime can pile up real quick, believe me on that one. As far as animation depending on your PC it will take time. Do it in camera edit transitions. But I hope you will be around. This site is very friendly and people will help you any way they can.   But most of all have fun.

Last edited by tda42 on 26 Jan 2011 22:37; edited 1 time in total 
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#14  Chromium 26 Jan 2011 23:36

tda42, thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

I thought I would try to limit myself a bit, at the moment, and play around with P6, and a small HD, as I have a bad habit for wanting everything I can get (and there is a lot around), which would mean being pre-occupied with adding to my Runtime, and not actually using Poser that much except to see how much my collection is up to (I am that bad - shame on me).

Thanks for recommending to not chase after the latest Poser 2010, and sticking with what I have. To be honest what I have is more than ample for me. In fact I deliberately went after P6, for my laptop, precisely as you mention with regards to processor speed. I thought an older program being smaller should run quite well, which it does. The laptop is P4mobile @ 2.8GHZ, with 708MB (I shall upgrade the RAM to 1GB - the limit for this laptop).

My intention is to stick around on this forum. I have lots to learn, and shall be happy to call PF, home.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#15  tda42 27 Jan 2011 00:17

1 gig will be fine. If you ever have a PC at your place I would use at least 2 gigs and no less. The Duo Cores are from 4 to 8 gigs these days. Always getting bigger but that's progress. LOL! But use for the Laptop you are right about that. If you are building a Poser Item at your capacity of the Laptop I would recommend making the background in to a jpg and then import it into Poser and simply place your character with it in the second render.  I hope this helps you. Have fun.

...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910