Goto page Previous  1, 2

Subject:
I am sure he will find it for me...I have faith in him...although I did have to spank him over the D&R game.. :lol:

Subject:
" I fee cowardly " in AD&R :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Subject:
Poser doesnt do those itty bitty details that you need or would like in your images - I use PS alot for 80% of my work if i am rendering in Poser alone.

I also render in Vue - and i like how that comes out so not much postwork is required there.

but i do add details with my brushes etc to my images - that just makes my images very ME looking.

Profile PM  
pangor
Subject:
I like to do as littel postwork as possible to get the desired results. At the same time to little postwork will fail to properly capture the vision that the artist has for his or her work. But if Poser is being used as it was firtinteded to be that is a different story. Rember that Poser was not at first desiged to generate anything new a fiished work. It was a visualizaton tool for traditional artist such as a computerized sketch that would be painted over. Also as a blocking tool for photographers, to test poses and show them to clients and the models before shooting begins. It can still be used this way, and am sure that some artits do. For such situations, this is not a question of postwork for there is none. Poser generates teh prework to prpare for the main process.

Subject: Re: Too much postwork
I think postwork is an important part of CG art, I never was happy about the way a render came out from any 3d renderer, I allways asume postwork will be needed, I came in into CG of the hand of photographic retouching, and maybe that is my main interest in postwork, if a photograph allways need a retouch, how couldn't a 3D CG render need it too?, not to mention corrections, ading stuff like clothing and hair is an art itself, that I allways promised myself to try since my wife gave me my little graphic tablet, my main goal is to make my renders looks photographics, not photorealistic, that's something diferent, I'm not much interested in that, I like the fotographic feel, for that I usually add some touches of defects like blur, hi contrast, noice, hi saturations or desaturations, to get rid of the, IMO, ugly perfections of the renderers.
I'd never show an unfinished version of my works, but since I don't consider this one of my great ones I wanted to show you what I mean:
Look at the upper unretouched Daz Studio renders, my only considerable work in this picture was the lights, and 3Delight seamed to ignored it :snooty: , I used some photograpic tricks to enhance it, added blur, dramatised the contrast to add depth and changed saturation and hue of some layers to add a hot and fire feel. At the end I worked most of the time in the postwork itself (trying and trying to get want I wanted), but I thougt the picture deserved it, just to rescue it from the total mediocrity.
I think I like postwork :uuh:

pangor
Subject:
That is a great improvement, Rayera. What you did here is a perfect example of what I mean by as little postwork as possible to get the desired results. Too little postwork and the picture suffers and the artist's vision is not given form. Too much postwork, can spoil the picture too. Think about a lady wearing makeup, just the right amount of makeup can enhance her natural beauty, too much make can make into a clown.

The picture that I posted last night is an example too when compared to those I create for our MBotW project. For the MBotW pictures, the goal is to show that "natural" beauty of the model, character, clothing, or textures--or a combination of them. So adding a little postwork to fix mistakes created by the rendering process or fixing lighting adding a simple background or adding shadows it right. FOr the picture that I posted last night, "Nine Marushkas", the goal was to create an image in that style. So the right amount of postwork was just what was needed to create that look. So that work was almost all postwork to the point where much of the fine detail work on the lady's morphs and textures were mostly lost.

Subject:
Sometimes you need the added touches of postwork to finish giving it that quality that an image might need.

Profile PM  
pangor
Subject:
Yep.

Subject:
I'm glad this postwork thread got some new attention! All these bits and pieces continue to build up my knowledge pool :)

I can see the vast improvement in your picture, rayera and is a very good example of how to achieve a better final picture. I don't do much postwork yet, because I still haven't practised or tried the many features of photoshop.

I think the most I have tried so far was my March calendar submission, and that was mostly brush presets. The other special effects were part of a package I picked up to get me by until I could figure out how it was done.

Profile PM  
Subject:
With Poser 6, i dont find the need to do much postwork, i have also started using the lighting with P6 - ambient occlusion - just has this different effect on the render in the end.
and unlike P5 - it doesnt seem to suck system resources as much therefore rendering a bit faster.

Profile PM  
Subject: Re: Too Much Postwork
With Poser 4, especially the lights in it, Ive done a lot of postwork - otherwise most pictures look dull. With Poser 6 and the rights lights one doesn't need so much postwork.

But overall I think Postwork can add to a picture's mood / message / impact.

Rayera's pic is a good example - postwork can make a not so good render better. Also, Postwork can improve a (very) good render to make it outstanding!

And to add, I would like to see a topic with comparison pics Before - After Postwork. I guess I'll start one in a few....

Profile PM  
Subject:
You and your Poser 4 especially the lights in it I have done a lot of postwork - otherwise most pictures look dull.

Profile PM  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2