Are Fractal People Cliquish?

Page 1 of 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post Are Fractal People Cliquish?

#1  Gojira 25 Sep 2005 15:17

Hi!  I was following a thread awhile ago at another site and someone was writing that "Fractal People" are cliquish.  Someone else said that folks who use terragen are cliquish, and then someone else said that Poser users are cliquish - well, you get the point.  So, what do you think . . . ?

Gojira 
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 970
Lemons 937
hearts 0

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  ButchNormand 25 Sep 2005 16:40

Bien sà»r! ~ ~  I think we become that way with the friends we make in galleries!

blank.gif ButchNormand Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 540
Lemons 388
hearts 0

#3  pangor 25 Sep 2005 17:58

I agree that theres a there are cliques in art and other fields.  There is nothing wrong with them, since in this case clique is another name for community.  As Butch says, they will develop based on the the friends and aquaintances we make in the various galleries and forums.  And of course which sites make us feel comfortable.

The problems are when the cliques/communities become closed and not welcoming of new members or exclusive in that members are not made to feel comfortable in being a member of multiple communities.

Among artist who use Poser and Studio, there are additional sub-cliques too.  There are some based on the use of Maya Doll, others for Sara only, etc.  Some are based on artwork of faries, and others are based on artforms that would exclude some of our younger members from joining.  There is even one based on the use of the Poser 3 and Poser 4 Nude Woman model, who we call Posette.

As for me, I am active at different levels in serveral websites and the communities that they support.  The two communites where I am most active are those of Posetteforever and Tapestry of Dreams.  When you go to a new forum/gallery it may be a little while before you start fitting in.  When you go to one, in the beginning you will often see that someone you already know is a part of that community too.  That is always nice.

As for the use of software, I don't care which software/tools I use.  I use whatever tools that I have available and that will permit me to create the artworks born from my artistic vision.  At the same time, I like artworks created by artists using any tools that choose, as long as I like the appearance of their art.

None of us are fractal artists, terragen artist, Poser, bryce, TrueSpace, etc people.  We are all just artist and those are the tools we choose to work with.

Pangor

pangor 

#4  The Captain 25 Sep 2005 18:59

Aye, lad - that be a good question!  There be no doubt that a hearty prefers his own shipmates, but when a jack transfers to another tub, the welcome mat should be rolled out for 'em!

blank.gif The Captain Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 120
Lemons 114
hearts 0

#5  Christopher Lee 25 Sep 2005 19:45

I found out first hand how cliquish people can be at various art communities.  I posted a few terragen pictures at an unnamed "other" site, and was abused for it, along with the others who commented favorably upon my pictures.  You see, they were my friends whom I met in the fractal galleries, and, naturally, they supported me when I posted under other genres, as I did them when they similarly posted.  My terragen pictures were deleted as having "caused too much controversy."  I was quite fortunate that you told me of this site, Gojira.  Thank you, and cheers

Christopher Lee Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 370
Lemons 203
hearts 0

#6  pangor 25 Sep 2005 20:13

Christopher, I think I may know the site that you speak of (but still will not be named); I have seen the empty ruins of those personal galleries.  It is ironic though that the site does have a catagory for terragen images.  I have posted my landscapes there and my landscape background packages are listed in their free stuff listing.  It sounds like too many of the wrong people kinds of people (trolls) found you at that site.     But in the long run that brought you here    .

Pangor

pangor 

#7  Robert DeNiro 25 Sep 2005 20:15

Yeah.  I remember that, Chris.  Those yo-yos at that terragen gallery really peeved me.  I'll tell you, if my grandmother - God rest her soul - had been around there, she would have smacked them good a few times just to teach them some manners.  They used to do that in the Old Country back then - just ask Tormentor.  They used to smack you if you didn't show some respect

blank.gif Robert DeNiro Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 350
Lemons 303
hearts 0

#8  vonfranck 25 Sep 2005 20:56

I do not think I should ever show Disrepect to your Grandmother, Robert!  It sounds that it would be injurious to the Health!

blank.gif vonfranck Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 110
Lemons 129
hearts 0

#9  Posy 25 Sep 2005 20:56

In what way do I sound like that?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#10  vonfranck 25 Sep 2005 20:57

Robert said that his Grandmother would smack people if they were of a disrespectful Nature!

blank.gif vonfranck Gender: Male
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 110
Lemons 129
hearts 0

#11  Meiguinha 25 Sep 2005 21:32

I hope Robert behaved when he was a little boy then!

Meiguinha Gender: Female
Potential Regular
Potential Regular
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 120
Lemons 102
hearts 0

#12  Tormie 26 Sep 2005 01:38

(   What is Cliquish for   ?)

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#13  pangor 26 Sep 2005 08:52

From the dict servers:

Cliquish:

Of or pertaining to a clique; disposed to from cliques; exclusive in spirit.

befitting or characteristic of those who inclined to social exclusiveness and who rebuff the advances of people considered inferior [syn: clannish, clubby, snobbish, snobby]

arrogant, clannish, cliquey, contemptuous, contumelious, disdainful, elect, ethnocentric, exclusive, haughty, scornful, select, selective, sneering, sniffy, snobbish, snobby, snooty, snotty, supercilious, toploftical, toplofty, withering

Pangor

pangor 

#14  sakuma 26 Sep 2005 11:30

Japan important is to belong in group.  Group can be show exclusive attitude.  Sometime difficult to belong group new!  

blank.gif sakuma Gender: Male
Not Too Shy To Talk
Not Too Shy To Talk
Life + 1
Life + 1

Currently banned
Tomatoes 390
Lemons 221
hearts 0

#15  tda42 26 Sep 2005 11:45

Well I'll have to be honest about it there are some out there in the 3D world who are very snobbish. I myself have seen it. Some are good with the software while others instead of trying to be diffirent tend to buy something and put it on the mat render it and think they done it all by themselves which tends to give a false sence that they are artists. I guess that is ok but when you see it at a store on line for $12.99, well   I think that is giving a person way to much credit. As far as being here as a place to show your work. It is why it's here. A sort of I'm tired of the seen and need to get away thinggy. It started with an idea that a a Posette could still be loved and admired. She was always pretty. Not like a certain Judy but I won't go there. Anyone that I can remember that has been threw this site has always been kind and knows from their lives why they came here. Once they where here they begin to realise that they were not alone. As far as the word cliquish. It simply doesn't pertain to this site. As a matter of fact the word is not in my vocabulary at all for it is not who we are. Friends? Yes. Anybody can be a friend. So why not fall in love with someones art today. Meanwhile I'll just take the word cliquish out with the trash.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910