Splitting a post

Page 1 of 1

Post Splitting a post

#1  melamkish 20 Feb 2006 12:41

Since this is the first moderation action I have considered, I'm posting my reasons and thoughts to get input from the staff to ensure I'm in keeping with general site policy.

The PF link sticky is rather long.  Matrix has posted some links that should be under their own subject per the notes for using the links.  I'm afraid that his posts may eventually get buried under a growing list.  

My thoughts were to move/split the posts, send a friendly PM of why the posts were moved/split and encourage Matrix to continue posting any links that he finds may be useful to us.

Even though most of the recent link posts may already be in the list, it gives me a chance to see what links our members find most useful and I may be able to use the information for later refinements.

I have also found a link post by Nex in the PoserPort thread that would be better served under it's own posting.  

As I mentioned, just asking for a second opinion before I take any action.

melamkish Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  ahjah 20 Feb 2006 13:46

Hi melamkish.
I noticed this problem, too.
One idea about this is to merge your collection of Posette links from the forums to our links page.
There isnĀ“t too much, yet, anyway.

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#3  melamkish 20 Feb 2006 17:07

Thanks Ahjah.

I can see this rapidly getting out of hand.  I have another several hundred links and more that I haven't checked.  I like the idea of continuing this as time permits, but the forum, while a good way to start, may not be the best way to continue.

Although I haven't talked to Tormie about it, I have thought about packaging this all up in an HTML package that could be accessed from the main links page under the navigation bar.  It would clean up the format, make it easier to read, and everybody could still post their favorites, or new finds in the forums for later addition to the list. If possible, I could even make a little pic with PF links for the scrolling links window.

Any comments on this would also be appreciated.

In the meantime, I will try to keep the forum organized.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#4  Tormie 20 Feb 2006 17:15

I've a solution melamkish, just keep your lists as your own locking the topic so you will be the only one that can edit it and no one can add comments, the other users simply will start a new topic and you can use their link and add them to the list if you think they are valuable.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#5  melamkish 20 Feb 2006 18:24

Yep, thought about that one also.  Simplest solution for now.

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#6  pangor 21 Feb 2006 10:08

I think that sounds good and should work well at this point.  If it becomes a major problem, it is possible to create a subforum for your links, post several topics for different catagory of links and one sticky one to serve as a table of contents.  You can lock each of thoe topics.

For and example, take a look at my "study" forum at 3DT at how I handled this style over there for some Virgina's story.

pangor 

#7  melamkish 21 Feb 2006 13:02

Great advice from all.  Thank you.  Posts moved and appropriate threads locked.  Although the moderation panel looked easy to use, just wanted backup before mucking around the first time.

And since I raised the subject, I had been thinking of an html package for my own use, with the by product being it could be used here if not to difficult to implement.  A long range project.  Some months out.  I have some free software for website building that would make it somewhat easy to do.  With 8 Bookmark folders of over 50 links each, I have to find a better way to sort this stuff.  And I haven't even visited the site with over 1100 links yet    

The fallout of this project has naturally been to find alot of tutorials and Posette related items, so as soon as I'm finished re-oranizing my runtimes (to find everything I downloaded) I am diving head first into the mechanics of Poser and bryce.  Wish me luck.  

Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

#8  Tormie 21 Feb 2006 13:38

I can charge the html file to the site, but I think it's better a direct link or reproduce it here because mixing different codes would cause a mess. However, let me see when it's done, we'll find a solution  

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes
Lemons
hearts

HideWas this topic useful?