How things are going

Page 1 of 1

Post How things are going

#1  Tormie 20 May 2019 15:57

Hi friends     , how are you ?

Long time no see.

Well, I must put things short and straight: my life is a mess, my relationship with my mate is at an end and I really don't know what and if my life will go. In this perspective, friends, I've no more interests in Poser or in computer graphics and it's time to find a new owner/contibutor to Posetteforever, or leave it die. I won't be here amymore, I'm sorry. It was an interesting part of my strange life, I knew a lot of peculiar people all around the world and I loved them all, but for a reason or another I was always a step behind. Well, I was in a warzone, I had cancer, I travelled alone, but inside myself, deep inside myself, I'm a coward. I tried to change it but it is  the way i was born, I can't change it. I struggled to have a family but I failed, I found some good friends here, the best friends in my life, most of them I met in person at the other side of the world. Time is passing, and I spent the best years of my life doing nothing, now I'm getting old and there is nothing in my hands.

So said friends, please let me know if someone want to take ownership of Posetteforever, I'll be glad to pass to him the ownership for the name and the site, I'll always be here for technical support, if needed, but I can't pay no more. Actually the expenses are about 70 euros a year to Hetzner, for the domain name and the web space, but it can be transferred anywhere else

I'm sorry friends, this is a chapter of my life I need to close, like other chapters, I need to go forward and be free, I need my mind very light if you  know what I mean.

So friends, let me know, shortly, if somenone want to keep this site, or let her die.

A  hug to you my friends, and I'm very sorry to have let you alone, alone for nothing

Davide, known as Tormie.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: How Things Are Going

#2  Chromium 20 May 2019 18:04

Hi Tormie.

Sorry to hear how things are going...

You're the priority, and I suppose nothing lasts forever, including Posette Forever...

I understand, you want your freedom... and a quick answer.

I'm more than happy to pay the 70 euros to keep this site running.

As long as Ahjah, does his Admin role, and provided you can help with the site maintenance.

I honestly have no interest in site maintenance (my coding days are behind me), if a trusted member volunteers then I think we can keep plodding along.

I'll wait to see what Ahjah says, in case he has another plan.

We'll keep the light on!

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

Post Re: How things are going

#3  ahjah 20 May 2019 22:22

Hello Davide

Good to hear from you, even if it's not good news.
We never met in person, but I'm pretty sure, you're not a "coward", whatever this should be. I never got the concept anyway. You shouldn't put yourself down. I never managed to have children and a family, either. I never build a house, not even planted a tree, I never did a bungee jump or stuff like this. Still, I consider myself a strong person. I fought alcohol addiction (29 years sober now), I made lot's of music, I did much less harm to our ecosystem than average people, never owned a car, never traveled by plane, but I made a lot more people happy than sad. There's nothing to touch or look at, but this is what I'm proud of and you should be too.
We struggle every day, we fall, we get up again, solve problems, create new ones doing so. That's human. That's life. That's how it's supposed to be. If all this is over one day, that's what we call death and it seems a pretty boring place to me.

About the future of Posetteforever, Even if the costs for this don't seem high. I'm not able to contribute. I'm on early retirement, and that's about the poorest state to be here in Germany. I have a roof over my head and don't have to starve, but not much more.

To be honest I have often thought of quitting the job here over the last months.
It's about the only reason I still keep a computer. I'm tired of what the www has become like, and old enough to know life is possible without, and the REAL things have to be done in REAL life, still.
So I'm not sure if I want to go on like this, or look at it as a chance to drop out, too.

I don't want to decide this right now, and have to sleep it over. After all PF is kind of home and family to me since sixteen years now. This is no easy decision...

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4120
Lemons 515
hearts 2130

#4  ahjah 24 May 2019 19:30

Hello friends
I've not made up my mind, yet. As it looks, I am to decide the future of PF.
Of course, I don't like the idea of being the one to set an end to this. I love this place, and it really should stay.
On the other hand, I feel, I need some changes in my life, and they should happen soon, getting older. My "job" here has kept me from doing this changes in the past more than once, That's o.k., was my decision. But  the day has to come, I don't want to do this forever.
So I am thinking, is Your leaving, Davide, a wake up call for me, too?
I really wish somebody could take this from me...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4120
Lemons 515
hearts 2130

#5  Tormie 25 May 2019 16:38

Well, I'll leave this topic run for a while, anyway I don't see a lot of people here talking  

I worked a lot on this site, just a lot, I see it and I smile, even only for the smilies      

There is more to say: the topic (Posette, poser4) does not attract people , or enough people.

You know, I never used the site as an opportunity to make cash, that is a little strange, so I never cared about how many people was on it, nevertheless it looks like one of those abandoned place in the middle of the desert.

So I thought at two possibilities:

The only one that stepped forward is Chromium, so I'm more than glad to transfer to him the property of the domain name (posetteforever) and the site itself (that is hosted in Germany now, on Hetzner). The site (and the domain) can be obvioulsy trandferred anywhere, and I can be contacted for the technical side.

The other possibility is to start from the beginning, with a new site, something that can attract more people, something like "art for free" or "art for the poor" with contents and istructions for making art without spending money, and our freebies can be kept as a section.
there is also a reason for this: the software of the site is still based on php 5, whatever it can mean to you, this is no more supported and It's very, very difficult to trander all the messages on a new site.
Nowadays, we need something that can communicate with social media (facebook, instagram, youtube etc.)

I'm enthusiast on new projects, anyway actually I do not have much time: I need to work hard here and I've many other issues (and my english is not improving, you see   )

Th host (Hetzner) works very well, the problem is that the cost is increasing, and you know, I'm not here if not once or twice a year, even because I'm very often on a smartphone, and the site can not be easily usabel on a smartphone.

Other hosts do not support php 5 anymore so I'm in a loophole.

Suggestions are very welcome friend, in order to have our community improving we have to change, for example, I've my girlfriend that make works in polymer clay, and she could write tutorials (he has a site, but it's commercial), she can help me, but she doesn't know about Poser.

let me know, I'm open to everything.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  Nik 29 May 2019 18:16

would some sponsorship / donation via paypal help ??
N

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#7  Tormie 04 Sep 2019 06:32

Just to say that I simply managed to shrink the account type from level 4 to level 1, it means less space but posetteforever is little , the space is 10 gb and posetteforever keeps 5 so I mean it will be enough.
I just had a conversation with this german woman there in Gunzenhausen ( ) and it's done, This year I paid half, I think next year should be less.

I had only to wake me up.

For the future, I still need to upgrade the site, I don't know when but I'll do it setting up a server in my house for testing because now I've only one database available online here.

Meanwhile I made a backup, just in case

We'll live another day

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  ahjah 04 Sep 2019 17:34

That's a good thing to hear Good news are rare these days ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4120
Lemons 515
hearts 2130

#9  Chromium 20 Dec 2019 21:46

Tormie, I don't know how feasible it is, but I was previously looking at those website services where they duplicate a site.  Now my understanding of how it all works is very poor (even poorer now), but maybe there is a programme or service that can copy the site, and convert it over to HTML5 (or whatever) in the process.

Even if it does some of the work, it would make an upgrade easier, yes/no?

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

HideWas this topic useful?