Important question, please help :)

Page 1 of 1

Post Important question, please help

#1  guiltypleasures 25 Sep 2003 19:58

I'm trying to have some of my artwork printed up at a print place and while on the phone with the guy he asked me what size and format my pictures were in on the cd I burned. Well they are in jpegs and now I'm trying to figure out what size they are in inches. I opened one up in photoshop and went to image size and this is what it says: width 17.917 height 13.75 inches. so now is that how many inches they are and if I had them print these in 8 X10 size would that mean they will be reduced? Should I have them printed as close to the actually size they show they are in photoshop? Or would reducing them be better quality? I was prepared to have them all 8X10's or something close to that, but now I'm really confused. Any help would be very much helpful here as I want to have these printed today if possible.

Thank you

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

• Back to top Page bottom

#2  Den Tracy 25 Sep 2003 21:56

Depends on the cost and what you are planning to do with the
prints.  8 X 10 is small.  Check to see what frame size is available for the 18 X 14 images.

I know this isn't much help.

blank.gif Den Tracy Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5710
Lemons 5299
hearts 0

#3  Tormie 25 Sep 2003 22:21

I don't know how long is an inch   ....

Anyway, I know that if you partecipate in the Renderosity contest for the magazine, they ask for a TIFF format 300 dpi depth...

I think you can ask the size you want for your pictures, obviously if the size you want is 8x10 and the picture is not exactly in the 8:10 ratio you will have 2 sides with a larger blank part. I saw your pictures are larger than 8x10, so you can't loose resolution.

I'm printing some of my pictures for the wall of my house   in standard A4 format (21x28), I lost a little resolution if the original was smaller , but it is enough for me...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#4  guiltypleasures 25 Sep 2003 22:38

Thanks den and tormentor, I'm just trying to see how they would look printed. I had a couple printed up at a Fred Meyer store here in town because I had a free cupon for one. They printed them up in 8/10 size although one they ended up cutting off one side of the picture which kind of ticked me off. The quality of the picturs is very nice and they are printed on paper like a reg photo would be on if you developed your film. I also had a few printed at a print shop by my house because they offered the same size printing for cheaper prices. They used a glossy photo card stock which isn't as nice as the one's from fred Meyer but not too bad. What I want to do when I can afford it is to pick out one I really like that is suitable for a bigger (closer to poster size)
Your right Den, the 8/10 size is kind of small, but for now at least I can see how they look and also send a couple of my favorites to my kids in frames.

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#5  Tormie 25 Sep 2003 22:41

Quote:

also send a couple of my favorites to my kids in frames.

I hope they will appreciate them like a copy of Grand Theft Auto - Vice City  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  guiltypleasures 25 Sep 2003 23:18

Oh your such a funny man tormie  

Actually I was talking about my daughter who lives in Portland and my oldest son who lives in Seattle Washington. My daughter doesn't play computer games and my oldest son has a monster computer and can afford to buy and play any games he so chooses. The two youngest kids who live with me are just going to have to get jobs and buy their own computer and vice city game! lol
Actually I think right now they are pretty happy with the nintendo game cube their older brother just sent them for their birthdays. Now I'm going to pass out due to this cold that has taken over my body.  :-&

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#7  Deviant_Viking 26 Sep 2003 05:29

If you're printing out a pic in 8x10 inches, you should have the dpi/resolution to 300 pixels/inch for best result, making the pic about 2400x3000 pixels large.

Deviant_Viking Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 6440
Lemons 5480
hearts 0

#8  Tormie 26 Sep 2003 05:59

Hey Gp, I've here a patchworked wool blanket made by my grandma for you   ! Here persists a damn warn and I've to change two or three t-shirts during the day if I'm doing some work outside... sigh   ...
Anyway, I've just replaced the boiler for the winter.

If it will become too cold there you can come here , I know you are fine in doing dishes  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#9  Ozymandias Jones 26 Sep 2003 06:39

Glad to hear the printing turned out okay, GP.

It's a pity my business partner is away for the week. He does a lot of large format digital printing for various retail projects we do. I could have asked him for some advice. There is always problems with the printers who seldom understand what their doing as well

His last project, off one of my impossible designs that look good on paper but give the contractors sleepless nights, was 3.6m (12ft) high x 1.8m (6ft) wide. Done in a single print, photo background with abstract graphic elements superimposed across it. I'll put up a photo when it's done in around a month.

I've always wanted to print up some of my stuff (if I ever found any worth printing) onto canvas textured fabric, looks like an old master.

Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

blank.gif Ozymandias Jones Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 12510
Lemons 7905
hearts 10

#10  Wheelchair 26 Sep 2003 21:49

also depends on res. dpi. I was asked to change my from 75 dpi to 300dpi  for my book cover. It increased the size to about 3 times.

blank.gif Wheelchair Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 2530
Lemons 3276
hearts 11

#11  guiltypleasures 26 Sep 2003 22:38

Thank you all for your advice it has been a great help to me
I think the cold is starting to get better so hopefully I can spend more time on my computer instead of on the couch now lol. Tormentor, take that blanket and stuff that vice game in it and then toss it under the wheels of your bus before you start work  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

HideWas this topic useful?