Thoughts About Poser 10 ??

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Thoughts About Poser 10 ??

#1  Nik 04 Dec 2016 00:46

Hi !

Long, long ago, I began with a free 'cover' version of Poser 3, upgraded it to 4 and the 'large memory' patch.

Much later, I bought version 7, along with a bunch of books, but computer crashes and domestic imperatives meant I never installed it.

Now, I've version 10, cheap from Amazon.

Reviews of 10 are, um, mixed, with grumbles that it is slow, memory-hungry and doesn't play well with Win10.

The speed issue *should* be a non-problem thanks to the octo-core AMD on my chosen mobo, and the memory needs are unlikely to cause disk thrashing with 32 GB of DDR3 available.

But, what of the reported Win10 glitches and gremlins ?

This would be a *clean* install of Win10 x64 'Home'. If necessary, I'd get 'Pro'...

Any thoughts, anyone ??

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Thoughts About Poser 10 ??

#2  Chromium 04 Dec 2016 18:10

This is an interesting dilemma for me too.

I've got Poser 6, on one machine (XP32), Poser 9, on another (XP64)...

However I've a upgraded W10 machine, for which I'm ordering an SSD blah blah.

I've used the machine with W10 for some time now, it seems fine, but ironically due to Poser/Windows stability issues I'm inclined to go the XP64 route due to my preferences, I guess I've lost my appetite/patience to try newer things.

Sorry I can't be more help at present, unless I install P10 before I swap the drive out.

As for known issues, I think the newer versions had issues with IE, for browsing the libraries, of which it should only be P8, that should not work higher than IE8 (IIRC).

There are issues for where windows would like to install Poser vs where installed content would like to go, if they need to be in the same place as the Poser exe.

Also the Poser exe name should be different much like the pro version, so to fool some installers you create a simple notepad file and rename it to "Poser.exe", and put that where you want the content to install.

As for mixed reviews of P10, on its' own merits it seems fine, I installed a copy for my niece, much like P9, with a few more bells. Of course with P10, you must remember that the python scripts will run if they are P9 compatible, as for compatibility with older versions you may have to cut your losses there, so I'd keep your P7 too for such older content and rendering.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#3  Nik 05 Dec 2016 19:22

That's interesting...

I don't use IE, just Chrome.

And, I really do not want to plant a sprawling Poser run-time on the Windows' SSD.

Hmm.

So, I've done some urgent googlin'.

Most Poser 10 / Poser vs Win10 issues seem to be due to non-default 'paths'. If Poser installs where it wants to go, then everything else shows up where it should, and the different parts of the program play nice together...

A significant number of problems seem due to bad meshes. Poser, it seems is NOT robust when it comes to geometric snarls. It doesn't fail-soft or leave a gap, it just goes 'Tilt, Game Over'.

D'uh...

Sadly, there's no 'Go/NoGo' Poser 'audit' utility that can slurp a mesh and flag up snarls.

So, I'm seriously considering a 'Plan-B'.

Instead of SSD C: with Windows and mirror-RAID D: for everything else, I'll go for a fast SSHD 'SSD-buffered HDD' as C: with Windows, Poser, RunTime etc etc, and the mirror-RAID D: for my vast archive of other stuff...

Given I rarely re-boot my desk PCs other than for Norton updates, time from POST to 'desktop' isn't critical. Having even a few crashes due path issues more than wipes out any boot-time savings, not to mention the lovingly tweaked WIP...

Okay, I'm off to Amazon to look at SSHD prices...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#4  Nik 05 Dec 2016 20:54

Hmm.

Hybrid drives are a bit of a head-scratcher.

Budget hybrids are only 5400, so slow if you don't want something from their SSD cache.

7200 hybrids are VERY EXPENSIVE, and don't yet have a long warranty...

If I must put Poser on C: for a reliable 'path', this probably applies to my new TurboCAD Pro, too.

This suggests that, if I keep my archive on a mirrored D:, then three identical WD Black 1TB (7200 & 5-yr warranties) will do, saving a LOT of money...

( I could afford to duplicate graphics card, drive a third screen !! )

Time to fire up the spreadsheet and re-do costing, yet again...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post MoRe: Thoughts About Poser 10 ??

#5  Nik 05 Dec 2016 22:37

Okay, so this is how it now looks...

( Several options set to zero for easy compare/ contrast of pricing...)

I can cover anti-static mat & leash & extra SATA cables etc from 'pocket money', so they're not on list...

Comes to ~ £ UKP 1280 ~ $USD 1630

<< Scroll bar at bottom >>

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#6  Chromium 06 Dec 2016 19:04

I agree on the hybrids.

All the nonsense with install paths makes me itch for XP64 even more. It's mature and stable and lean and very fast.

(Chromium looks at his spare serial... my precious).

Well if I was going to throw that much money at a machine it would be a used HP Z800 series, an 822 would be nice, but it takes up a fair amount of room. I'd only be going for a DIY if the final machine was better on price point/performance.  This is just my opinion, and your preference will dictate your decision.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#7  Nik 07 Jan 2017 15:58

Looks like Poser 10 is X32, which means it cannot use more than 4GB of the 32GB I'd planned. And, if I get Pro, which is X64, I can't afford the RAM to run it comfortably...

So, I've had a rather retro idea...

The 'loaded mobo' I'd chosen is still NOT AVAILABLE. Seems there were 'seasonal problems' at the warehouse; stuff was mis-labelled and/or mis-picked. Lots of mobos are not as described on the stock-control system, 'matched RAM' isn't. Urgent stock-take commences after Seasonal Holidays...

An alternative mobo, with fewer slots beyond twin SLI x8, and a slower 8-core, allows a plug-in SSD. Even a *small*, hence affordable SSD could provide 'virtual memory' for the X32 system that may be slower than #1600 DDR3 but is much, much faster than any HDD...

"Fast Onboard Storage with 20 Gb/s M.2
GIGABYTE 22110/2280/2260/2242 M.2 solution offers considerably faster storage performance and support for both PCIe and SATA interface for M.2 SSD devices."

I'me going to investigate this after I change our cats' litter and put our meal into oven...

Well, light oven, do cat litter, then load meal into pre-heated oven...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#8  Nik 07 Jan 2017 17:18

Won't work; I'll be heaping equants upon epicycles, balancing Win10 on top.

But, I can get a Smith Micro side-grade from registered P10 x32 to current P11 Pro x64 for $250 ~~ £200 UKP.

Ouch, ouch, ouch...

Back to the calculator !!

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#9  Nik 07 Jan 2017 18:11

Okay, I've spent £ 570 UKP on three WD Black drives, two graphics cards, Win10 and a Corsair 'tool-free' case.

The alternate mobo would be £ 410, the PSU ~£170 and the Poser side-grade £200.

That's ~£150 over my estimated £1200 budget rather than ~£50 under.

Let's see if the mobo supplier does a Spring sale...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

Post So I Got Poser 11 Pro As A Side-grade...

#10  Nik 08 Jan 2017 03:09

In the end, I decided that if P4 could easily fill my old CAD Tower's 4 GB RAM, P10 would soon choke on my Medieval-ish scenes. I needed an x64 version to bypass the x32 OS limit. I had no choice, I must get Poser 11 Pro as a side-grade...

If only it was that easy !!

Smith Micro's shop does NOT play nice with Chrome. My side-grade and a bunch of freebies just vanished from basket. After trying several times, I logged into the support system. Half-way through writing e-mail, a context-sensitive side-bar popped up with the 'solution' that I MUST use the *native* OS browser.

That is NOT FUNNY.

So, I found and woke IE, fumbled my way back to the Smith Micro site, tried again.

This time, the freebies were NOT freebies.
Reluctantly, I bought the heavily discounted 'Super Bundle', added this info to my e-mail with the quip that, IMHO, they also owed me the no-longer-free Paul & Pauline. At least their 'intro 10% off' coupon code applied to the PoserPro, almost covered the shipping...

Then, yes, the check-out gouged me at 1:1 on $/UKP exchange rate for the purchase and tax.

Fired up PayPal, typed the magic words. KaChing ! The 'Physical Upgrade' is on the way.

Now, I'm so-slowly downloading the 'super bundle', item by item. And, yes, the list over-runs the page, which is sloppy coding, has forced me to drop IE's zoom to 75%-- While there's oodles of empty space above the pop-up menu...

I'm 2/3 down the list, will continue grumbling until all are done...

Hello, I didn't see that one before-- Or that one !!
So, I've zoomed IE to 50% to reach those last items on the list.

Now I can see *TWO MORE* at the end that I almost missed !!

Some-one give their dozy Webmeister a stronger brand of coffee !!

Poser Content Super Bundle ( I didn't bother with two Mac-specific versions )
KelvinG2_12212006.zip
OliviaG2.zip
Insect-Bundle-Pt1.zip
Animals_Birds_Bundle.zip
InstallMiki4_win_SR3.zip
FrillsAndLace_SR2.zip
G2Suit_12212006.zip
JamesG2_12212006.zip
KojiG2_12212006.zip
G2Poses_12212006.zip
SleepWear_SR2.zip
G2Casual_12212006.zip
G2Soccer_12212006.zip
G2M_Ruler Bundle.zip
Insect-Bundle-Pt2.zip
Miki4Basics_SR2.zip
InstallTyler_win_SR2.zip
Animals-Forest-Bundle.zip
G2Jessi_CompleteFigurePack.zip

To add insult to injury, IE would NOT send confirmation page and order number to our laser printer. Moz Thunderbird could and did print off the confirmation e-mail.

Credit where due; the confirmation e-mail included *legible* links for those down-loads.
Wrist-slap time; the confirmation page should have *unambiguously stated* it would...

{ Can you tell I used to code 'Clean & Lean' ?? }

Okay, the 'butchers bill' reads...

£ 185 Physical upgrade
£   42 Super Bundle (mostly stuff that I would NOT have bought at full price, if at all...)
£   26 shipping
£    8 EDS ( allows re-download of Super Bundle if eg HDD files eaten by Alien Space Bats...)
£   52 tax  (Ouch, ouch, ouch...)
£ - voucher
==
£ 313 UKP

If I buy the planned 'loaded mobo' and psu, I'll be £ 250 over budget, so I really, really hope that supplier does a 'January Sale'. Or February...

And, d'uh, no buying more SciFi paperbacks from Amazon until my plastic stops hurting. Next may be 'The Hanging Tree' by Ben Aaronovitch due out– 13 Jul 2017

Against that, the Poser 11 Pro pack includes our Classic, ever-popular P4F, so I won't have to search for Posette !!

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#11  Chromium 08 Jan 2017 15:47

I'd like to take you back to a previous post, where you say P10 is 32bit, for you that equates to a 32bit rendering engine, it does not stop you from running an external rendering engine, it's the main point, and the only real point.

Now if your OS W10, is 64bit then that's where you'll hit a physical memory address limit (not with P10), it is not going to be 4GB, that's only for a M$ 32bit OS (XP), my profile indicates how I get around that.

Please remember your OS will define the physical memory limitation, not the application (P10) which runs in 32bit code vs 64bit code of the Pro version (hence a 64bit rendering engine).

Your application will see the "full" amount of memory that your OS is designed to address, then you can add further virtual memory "if" you need it.

I've repeated the point above a few ways, I hope one of them makes sense.

Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#12  Nik 11 Jan 2017 02:28

Well, that makes sense !!

Still, the Poser forums reckon that P10 & P11 (both x32) choke when editing complex scenes, but Pro (x64) keeps going. Rendering is another matter...

I'll certainly make use of Pro's 'fitting' tools; I now lack the 'focus' required to eg hand-tweak those tall boots I did for Posette in P4...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#13  Genarro 11 May 2017 05:23

Chroemium wrote: [View Post]
I'd like to take you back to a previous post, where you say P10 is 32bit, for you that equates to a 32bit rendering engine, it does not stop you from running an external rendering engine, it's the main point, and the only real point.

I'm enjoying the new Poser 10. It took some getting used to but I prefer it now.

Last edited by Genarro on 15 Oct 2017 06:50; edited 2 times in total 
 Genarro 
Lurker Surfer
Lurker Surfer
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 
Tomatoes 10
Lemons 0
hearts 0

#14  Nik 11 May 2017 23:13

That's good to know !!

I still have not installed P11. What with the problems of mobo not recognising the two graphics cards, or this old Desktop PC corrupting and 'locking up' my profile, I've been 'fire-fighting' for many weeks...

Everything seemed settled until I tried to create USB 'recovery sticks'. Though this older PC is 8.1 and CAD Tower is 10, they're both x64. Famously, their recovery drive exceeds 16 GB. So, I set to work with a pre-used SanDisk 32 GB. To my surprise, it was not recognised. I bought a new SanDisk 32 GB 'blade'. It ran, but failed. Some googlin' later, it seams that Windows will do that if something interrupts the 'save', ESPECIALLY if you have ticked the 'system files' box. Just try again...

This time, it ran, but claimed there were 23 GB free of 29 capacity. Only 6 used. Nonsense, surely ??
I tried again, now in a case-rear mobo port rather than a front-case 2nd-tier port.
Same happened.

Seems it *may* be due to SanDisk setting some bit in their stick firmware to tell Win8 systems that device is an actual drive, but it confuses the recovery creator tool so only the utilities get saved...

If I cannot figure this, I'll just have to buy several 'generic' 32 GB sticks from local supermarket...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#15  EdwardWood 10 Jul 2018 08:01

Nik wrote: [View Post]
Everything seemed settled until  and to create USB 'recovery sticks'. Though this comparison between phentermine alternatives helped me choose phenq older PC is 8.1 and CAD Tower is 10, they're both x64. Famously, their recovery drive exceeds 16 GB. So, I set to work with a pre-used SanDisk 32 GB. To my surprise, it was not recognised. I bought a new SanDisk 32 GB 'blade'. It ran, but failed. Some googlin'  and me later, it seams that Windows will do that if something interrupts the 'save', ESPECIALLY if you have ticked the 'system files' box. Just try again...

This time, it ran, but claimed there were 23 GB free of 29 capacity. Only 6 used. Nonsense, surely ??
I tried again, now in a case-rear mobo port rather than a front-case 2nd-tier port.
Same happened.

Seems it *may* be due to SanDisk setting some bit in their stick firmware to tell Win8 systems that device is an actual drive, but it confuses the recovery creator tool so only the utilities get saved...

If I cannot figure this, I'll just have to buy several 'generic' 32 GB sticks from local supermarket...

This is strange. I've been using SanDisk sticks for creating USB 'recovery sticks' for a long time. And everything works fine. But my system configuration is different. i5 with 16GB and Win7.

Last edited by EdwardWood on 09 Jul 2023 19:08; edited 5 times in total 
 EdwardWood Gender: Male
Lurker Surfer
Lurker Surfer
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 Warnings: 3 
Tomatoes 10
Lemons 0
hearts 5

HideWas this topic useful?