The Gremilins Strike Back

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

#16  Posy 01 Mar 2005 10:41

That might not be very far off. A lot of people say that about him. Who? Where is that?

it.png Posy Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

• Back to top Page bottom

#17  Tormie 01 Mar 2005 10:42

Hi Posy honey ! How are you ?

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#18  Posy 01 Mar 2005 10:42

I'm doing fine thanks how are you?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#19  Tormie 01 Mar 2005 10:42

I'm fine too  

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#20  pangor 01 Mar 2005 16:50

Tormentor, If I understand the purpose of a "coach repairer", the American term for it is "body and fender shop".  In American english "fender" is the same part of the automobile that is called the "wing" in British english.

You are right, around here there is too much reliance on insurance and litigation.  It is true in personal life and even more so in business life.  Too many times a company will spend much more for a project than is needed, as long as they have someone else to blame and make pay if something goes wrong.

An example, from a few years ago.  There was a company who wanted to modernize their computers.  It turned out that they had almost everything that they need in unused equipment from prior failed or terminated projects.  The only addition software they they needed was free open source.  Because most of the equipment was already in place and only needed to be reconfigured and retasked with new software, the disruption of their normal business would have been minimal.  Total estimated cost was around $20,000 for installation, with most of that going to time and labor; and as I recall up to $5,000 per year for maintenance and operation.  The upgrades could have been phased in so that the chage over would not have cause disruptions.  Their regular personnel would have needed very little retraining.

They also had another option offered, it required all new equipment and new commercial software, much of that software was the commercial (and outdated) versions of the same free software of the other option.  The disruption of their normal business under this plan was quite extreme.  None of their existing equipment or software could be reused.  None of their existing software could be used.  Their regular personnel would need to take retraining courses, some on-site some-off site.  The changeover required at least a week down time for their entire business.  Total estimate cost was around $1,000,000 for installation and over $200,000 per year for maintenace (including service contracts and insurance for just in case).

Which option did they select?  The more costly one.  The reason given?  With that option knew just who could be sued to recoop their losses if equipment breaks of software should prove to be buggy.  That way the executives resposible for the selection could pass blame on to someone else and while they woud not be "responsible" for anything and so their reputations and chances for promotions would not be damaged.

Pangor

Last edited by pangor on 01 Mar 2005 16:53; edited 1 time in total 
 pangor 

#21  guiltypleasures 01 Mar 2005 18:23

Landman said: "Torm Googled for Geico.... Eh?"

Better than googling a geko  

Johnny, I'm sorry to hear about your computer but glad you will get another one and hopefully it will be even better than the last one.

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#22  Tormie 01 Mar 2005 23:18

Quote:

Better than googling a geko

...    ...

@ pangor:
LoL, This thread would go very far in the direction of stupid things made by firms, if I would tell something that happens in the place where I work you would be disgusted   ...
At last I use to follow the system in its stupidity.
A little example:

After the terrorists attacks of 2001, at the end of that year our general director dispatched an official communication about the "lost bags" found on the bus. Before this communication when you found a lost bag you gave it to the controller and write on a document what was the content of the bag. With the new rules one have to stop the bus, let the people go out, call via radio the "headquarter" and ask for a car with two controllers on it to take care of the bag.
Obviously no one of my collegues followed those new rules and simply make as usual.
Obviously I make exactly what the new rules say... lol...
Every time I find a bag... I say to the passengers : "Warning! We have a suspected bomb here, please leave the bus !"   The I call the "headquarter" and explain that I found a bag. They always say me "Give it to the controller, what do you want ?" and I:" ahem... Sorry, but there is that communication, numer xxx ot the xx/xx/2001 signed by the director, so please send here a car to inspect the bag. I'm here, I won't go" >click!< And I start a little relax reading the newspaper. After half a hour or a whole hour depending on the traffic, the car arrives, the controllers (very       ) watch the bag, open it (finding normal things simply forgotten on the bus)... lol.. (while they open the bag I yell "EEEK!! SLOW !!! IT CAN EXPLODE!!!" ), then they give me the bag and I continue to work while in the headquarters they search for that communication and find that I'm right and they can do nothing against me... lol...

(I've to say that at work Tormie is considered a black sheep and is controlled step by step       )

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72512
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#23  guiltypleasures 01 Mar 2005 23:55

hahaha, Tormie you crack me up, that's great!        Sounds like some places I've worked for in the past  

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#24  pangor 02 Mar 2005 01:45

T,  GP, that sounds so familiar that I am beginning to wonder if we all worked at different divisions of the same company.  

Pangor

pangor 

#25  Posy 02 Mar 2005 01:45

What were we talking about again?   Do you prefer books or TV?

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 50470
Lemons 26123
hearts 99

#26  JanReinar 02 Mar 2005 14:10

guiltypleasures";p="19160 wrote: 
hahaha, Tormie you crack me up, that's great!        Sounds like some places I've worked for in the past  

I totally agree!        

blank.gif JanReinar Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 21250
Lemons 11861
hearts 358

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Strike up the Band! ahjah The Posetteforever diary 9 30 Jun 2006 19:37 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts Big strike in Milan.... Tormie The Posetteforever diary 17 01 Dec 2003 19:34 View latest post
Tormie
No new posts I'm Back! Marv The Posetteforever diary 13 13 Jun 2013 17:36 View latest post
GrouchoCaesar
No new posts I am back The Mighty Zeus The Posetteforever diary 4 15 Aug 2006 00:30 View latest post
The Mighty Zeus
No new posts Oh, look who is back! pangor Shebeen, the Staff forum 6 15 Aug 2006 18:24 View latest post

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2