Which Free Modeller ??

Page 1 of 1

Post Which Free Modeller ??

#1  Nik 16 Dec 2007 01:34

Which free modeller would you suggest for making OBJ meshes for P4 clothes ??

I've got links for Wings3D, LightRay3D, TrueSpace, Metasequoia, ZModeller, Anim8or, MilkShape... Oh, and MakeObj.

Note: I am not an artist, I've come to Poser via Draw3D and TurboCAD, so my modelling background is boolean rather than subdivision...

Okay, okay, the one with the best beginners' tutorials ? Yes ??

Um, would be nice if it did 3DS, too...
---

FWIW, I've just found the first cache of freebies I downloaded for Poser, then a cover-disk v3, back in 2003...
D'uh, yes, they include MakeOBJ, plus Skelwar1, 2 and poses !!

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Which Free Modeller ??

#2  Tormie 16 Dec 2007 02:10

Blender of course

http://www.blender.org/

(Andreas would agree   )

There are also some nice tutorials by rayera on how to make morphs with it...

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#3  TdaC 16 Dec 2007 22:15

I have only used animator...i think that program is too simple for making clothes as in i don't think it is good for it, but i have seen it done. It is more a program for props i think.

blank.gif TdaC Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 7320
Lemons 8763
hearts 143

#4  Marv 18 Dec 2007 01:54

I use Wings 3D. It has a low learning curve making it very easy to learn and to use. I know of several that have used it for creating clothes, morphs and figures for use in Poser.

us.png Marv Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 1330
Lemons 1022
hearts 40

Post "It Has A Low Learning Curve..."

#5  Nik 18 Dec 2007 02:26

"It has a low learning curve..."

That sounds promising !!

I've been collecting entry-level tutorials on making Poser4 conforming clothes, something I never bothered trying last time around...

Looks like the really hard part will be building heirarchy, so I've picked up Phi-builder...

I realise that most of this will be superceded when I finally un-crate P_7, but my curiosity has been piqued. After several hours fixing pointers in that GeishaGirl CR2, I began to recognise the layout-- And I *think* I saw where it went wrong....

Hmm, be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it, never mind 'roll my own', so still time for more advice on 'easiest modeller' !!

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#6  tda42 18 Dec 2007 02:52

I would have to agree. Wings would be the easiest but to make head morphs or body morphs Blender would be the way to go as well.

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

#7  Tormie 18 Dec 2007 15:02

I've a flat learning curve   ... Maybe it's because I'm very very lazy and I prefer to modify already made models for my own use that create new from scratch because it means a lot of work   ...

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#8  leahman 21 Dec 2007 07:04

I use Wings for making characters (obj.)
MANY of which   you have not  yet seen.

and I still use Infini-D for making Props.

I've got a learning curve
thats lower than whale poop.

Letz face it  folks   I've grown  OLD   but Being retired I still like to play with this stuff
I'm still a kid on the inside  and weird  besides
but the gray matter  -that used to run like a T-3 line
is now running  at dial-up speeds....    (heart attacks  do that )
I did graphics in the Printing Industry 1972 - 1998
 I'm falling behind    but this is now just a hobby   and not
making a living.                  I can't   loose  this job
  But I think  you guys  should learn Wings make some characters
You can make a few bucks  though I only sell  my Panther  model
you guys are talented and could do well.

blank.gif leahman Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User

Tomatoes 22317
Lemons 663
hearts 3697

#9  tda42 21 Dec 2007 09:48

Sad about the heart attacks Leahman. As for the models we have done that and believe me in my line of work if I could make a living doing that I would. As a matter of fact it would be nice to just stay home and build models for sale. But sad to say I wouldn't know where to begin on set-up on sales or things like that so I simply have fun. Thanks for the kind words though. I don't think there is anybody out here that didn't think it made their day.  

blank.gif tda42 Gender: Male
...Pink Paws...
...Pink Paws...
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 22450
Lemons 12546
hearts 3910

Post Wings 3D Download Problems...

#10  Nik 30 Dec 2007 14:46

Um, when I finally got around to installing Wings3D, Control Panel reported a corrupted file. So, after checking my PC-PC USB link was not responsible, I downloaded again, now a later version. Still corrupted. Second try at this version, still corrupted, I spotted the file-size was about half of expected.

Eventually, it downloaded 'clean', and installed without problems.

Phew !!

Now I gotta learn to use it...

First priority is combining a set of bizarre morph-targets into plausible prosthetic props for stab at a 'Halloween Shop' scene...

Just Don't Ask...

Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#11  rayera 30 Dec 2007 22:17

I'd recomend you my personal experience: I Started with anim8or, is a great program to start lerning 3D modeling, as Thilda sayed I don't think it suitable for modeling clothes, but doing your first props is a great begining, you won't start modeling a Maria Antonieta 18 century dress for begining    (I tryed   )

When I feeled confortable with anim8or I moved to Wings3D, and that is a great simple and free modeler, the inteface is quite diferent to anim8or, actually is diferent to most others modeler, I didn't find a lot of tutorials for this one, and most I learned was experimenting, but don't fear this, experimenting in wings is a pleasure because once you get the basics it become very intuitive.

After wings I moved to Blender, Blender is a particular Program, at first glance it looks terrible complex and complicated, and the true is it is   but once you get it you'll see everything in Blender is optimized for fast and productive work, I'v found a loooot of tutorials for this program, (note that I don't call Blender a modeler, because is much, much more than that), the most useful are video tutorials, that I absolutally like, of all free 3D programs I think Blender is the most powerfull with a Great community developing it and enhancing it, the tools that have are awesome, with Blender you can Model using subdivision (subsurface in Blender lenguage) and you can lower it or increase wile you model and then set it when you are satisfy, you can use mirror modeling, and a lot more very powerful tools; you can unwrap UV very in an easy way and very acurate, you can sculpt like in Zbrush, and you can 3D paint like in Deep Paint 3D, not to mention animate, and render with it's internal renderer using very advanced material shading tools,or with the great yafray renderer adon or with others via exporting, even powerful node system, and then once your render is finished you can make the composition for the final picture using again a powerful and intuitive node system; Blender is an incredibly powerful free tool (open source, so if you are advanced in programing you can modify it at your liking) a jewel for Poser users, you have many comercial programs in a free one, just need some patient to learn it, but the efort really will pay with great results.

By the way my next Blender Tutorial will be about modeling dynamic clothes, just give me some time to fix my windows instalation, but as I feel confortable in Linux I'm too lazy to do all back up and reinstalation    just give me some time  

argentina.png rayera Gender: Male
Forums Veteran
Forums Veteran
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 3930
Lemons 2560
hearts 11

#12  Tormie 30 Dec 2007 23:07

Quote:
By the way my next Blender Tutorial will be about modeling dynamic clothes, just give me some time to fix my windows instalation, but as I feel confortable in Linux I'm too lazy to do all back up and reinstalation  just give me some time

Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

HideWas this topic useful?
Link this topic
URL
BBCode
HTML
HideSimilar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts free modeller ahjah Interesting links 4 03 May 2004 00:09 View latest post
Den Tracy
No new posts Sci Fi free ahjah Interesting links 4 01 Mar 2008 14:28 View latest post
Ozymandias Jones
No new posts FREE! DarkAngel Interesting links 7 29 Mar 2006 03:30 View latest post
Kaya
No new posts Free At Daz Currently Chromium The ugly step sisters 4 24 Jun 2012 23:43 View latest post
JanReinar
No new posts More Free Stuff JanReinar The Posette Playground 3 05 Feb 2006 02:56 View latest post

Page 1 of 1