Problem With Vespa ??

Page 1 of 1

Post Problem With Vespa ??

#1  Tormie 21 Apr 2010 23:24

Well, some times ago I tried to put up some of my pictures on a site that sells T-Shirts with written behind them "the revenue from this will be used to pay the bills at Posetteforever.com".
Probably it was a bad idea to begin with, someone accused me to have "sold" Posy in the past because of this but as I can't say anything about what people do privately with their own art so I saw nothing wrong to do what I want outside Posetteforever. In any case it was just a test, with that I gained the phantasmagoric amount of $1,60   ...

The problem is that today I received this letter from that site:

Your product has been removed from ******’s Marketplace due to an infringement claim by Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. This may be due to the actual design of the product, description or search tags that references Vespa Scooters. For more information please visit: http://www.piaggiousa .com/

Well, I'm not concerned about me ( the picture was the one with Posy on the Vespa, I added to "our" Vespa the Vespa badge ) but for VK's Vespa that is in our free stuff page   , not talking about all the other free stuff that you made for it.

Should we change all the names to avoid to use the "Vespa" name (something like "Wespa", "Vaspa", "VSPA", maybe "VkSpa" ) ? Or you think that because it's not sold it can fall into the so called "fair use" ?

It looks like that they are visiting all the pages that Google throw out referring to "Vespa", and sooner or later they will come here, it can even happen that some "old friend" of us took the time to report to them, no difference anyway.

I'm concerned about it, I'm very attached to our Vespa   , sorry, I mean VKSpa

Sure at Piaggio they have nothing better to think about... Costumer lost   .

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Problem With Vespa ??

#2  ahjah 21 Apr 2010 23:51

blank.gif ahjah Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Chief
Chief
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 4130
Lemons 517
hearts 2130

#3  Whazizname 22 Apr 2010 13:32

I don't have any suggestions; but I certainly hope that this can end well.

usa.png Whazizname Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 5290
Lemons 3860
hearts 101

#4  guiltypleasures 23 Apr 2010 21:20

This has only to do with Zazzle policy and copyrights concerns when selling a product. Vespa my be copyrighted (the cycle as well as the company name) so you can't sell anything using that name or the likeness of it for money. You can still make pictures and post on free sites without any problems. If the scooter is an exact copy of the real Vespa they may not let you sell a picture even if you made it yourself because of that, or if you used the words Vespa in your title, picture or tags

Hope this helps explain it, if not I"ll talk more to you on our sat chats

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

#5  Tormie 23 Apr 2010 21:56

Yep, I'm not concerned with that site, but for our precious freebies here   , I like the way they are named (with "Vespa") but maybe it's better to change "Vespa" with something different. In any case, the "Vespa" that we share is not an exact copy of a Vespa, but a scooter that looks like a Vespa.

it.png Tormie Gender: Male
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Renderosity Ban
Renderosity Ban

Tomatoes 72502
Lemons 50450
hearts 5031

#6  guiltypleasures 23 Apr 2010 22:12

there should not be any problems with the name with regards to free stuff. Only if the person plans to sell something that uses that name (vespa) only then should it be concern to the person who's trying to sell it. That other site will not sell anything that may have a copyright issue because they (the other site) could be sued by the company that holds the copyright on the name Vespa. You aren't selling anything on this site so all is good here and you can keep using the name as far as I can see. The reason that other site took down your picture was due to they can't sell it there due to the copyright on vespa. I had a photo I took of a VW Bus that was painted cool like a hippy van, the photo was mine and yet I wasn't allowed to sell anything with that photo on that site because it was a copyright infringment on Volks Wagon lol
The copyright laws are a bit strange and sometimes totally silly if you ask me, but that's the way it is at least over here in the good ol USA lol

blank.gif guiltypleasures Gender: Female
Posette enthusiast
Posette enthusiast
Life + 1
Life + 1
Old Timer
Old Timer

Tomatoes 18231
Lemons 14731
hearts 187

HideWas this topic useful?