Poser, Python Plugin & DAZ Studio Compatibility

Page 1 of 1

Post Poser, Python Plugin & DAZ Studio Compatibility

#1  rico 27 Apr 2021 13:11

Hi there guys !

The quote at the bottom is from a web page at Poser Software's official site.

I'm wondering if you might be able to assist with the following questions, please:

1) Does this mean that Poser 12 cannot use the DSON feature to open Genesis 1 & 2 items?

2.1) They say DAZ Studio has a "PZ2 (Poser format) exporter"... where is this facility (is it built into DAZ Studio or is it an add-on that must be purchased for DAZ Studio)?

2.2.1) Does this facility mean that one can load a Genesis 1 or 2 figure in DAZ Studio, & EXPORT the figure as a Poser-native figure, with all its morphs... so that you never have to use DAZ Studio nor DSON to open a Genesis 1 or 2 figure again?

2.2.2) If the answer to 2.2.1) is "Yes", then, if someone has the Genesis1 figure AND the Genesis1-to-Generation-3 shape packs (that is, Genesis1 to M3, V3, D, SP3 shapes)... can you, in DAZ Studio, load a Genesis 1 figure, then morph it with the Genesis1-to-M3 shape, then auto-fit a Genesis1 clothing item to that reshaped Genesis1 figure... then EXPORT that clothing figure (which you auto-fitted to M3's shape) as a Poser-native clothing item for the M3 figure, where it will fit on M3 in Poser?

Thank you very much for your time & consideration .

> from Poser Software >

"Since it was first implemented, Python has gone through different iterations. Currently, Poser supports Python 2.7, but the program's end-of-life date was initially set at 2015 then postponed to 2020 out of concern that a large body of existing code could not easily be forward-ported to Python 3.

"When we move to the newer version of Python it will almost certainly break the DSON plug-in and other scripts. We simply can't hold back the needed updates any longer. Poser needs to move forward, and we can't wait for DAZ to update a 10-year-old plug-in," he said.

If user want to use Genesis figures in Poser, DAZ Studio has a PZ2 (Poser format) exporter that allows the export of figures that can load from Poser's library system.

"This does require a bit more prep-work but once the figures are converted to Poser format you don't have to do it again and you don't need a plug-in for it to work," Taylor said."

Last edited by rico on 27 Apr 2021 13:12; edited 2 times in total 
 rico Gender: Male
Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Warnings: 1 
Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

• Back to top Page bottom

Post Re: Poser, Python Plugin & DAZ Studio Compatibility

#2  Nik 03 May 2021 20:33

Well spotted !!

uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

#3  Chromium 04 May 2021 14:21

As Poser 12 is going with a newer python method, it's certainly not going to be compatible with the DSON converter in its' current python method.

I'm not sure but I think you may be referring to a commercial product called Poser Format Exporter, when you reference a PZ2 output from DS.

I'm quite rusty with DS, but I believe it has the ability to output an OBJ file.  So if you use it to re-shape/size a garment to a Poser figure, you should be able to output it that way.  Then you'll be playing the same games as Nik does when you import the item into Poser.

I seem to recall there were some attempts at exporting early Genesis figures from DS for import into Poser, there was some level of success.  You would need to search the subject as I recall there was a bit of a process.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#4  rico 04 May 2021 17:54

I have the Poser Format Export utility, yes, a paid product from DAZ. As far as I understand, it is used to export body & hand poses, from DAZ format to Poser format. It did not mention exporting an entire Genesis figure to Poser format.

Hmmm, this is certainly something to look into,...

Thank you very much Sir !

Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

#5  Chromium 05 May 2021 14:06

Lets use an M3 item as an example.

From my limited understanding your workflow will be to export the figure as a "base object" in OBJ format.

You'll then need to figure out the textures you may get lucky with applying the native Genesis ones you have without too much tweaking.

You would also need to work on your rigging abilities in transferring the rigging of M3 (in Poser), to the "base object", *there is a process for doing this.  You will then be able to have it become a figure or can have it as a prop, *there is a process for doing this.

In DS you'll morph your figure and output each as an OBJ for then loading as a full body morph target to your original "base object", which you've set up as a figure or a prop.

You should then be able to dress M3 in Poser with the "base object" figure/prop and pose it.

*there is a process for doing this = I'm rusty in Poser, so I've not advised it.

...and I hope you develop that passion for yours.

gb.png Chromium Gender: Male
Old Timer
Old Timer
Life + 1
Life + 1
Tech Chief
Tech Chief

Tomatoes 5400
Lemons 378
hearts 1083

#6  rico 05 May 2021 17:06

I see, ... this might be the solution to a problem I have!

Thank you kindly sir, it is very much appreciated !

Frequent User
Frequent User
Elbow
Elbow

Tomatoes 1130
Lemons 132
hearts 147

#7  Nik 07 May 2021 18:43

I should caution that fully re-rigging a DS figure for Poser is seriously non-trivial.

On a good day, sufficiently caffeinated, I can follow assembly of classic 'Box Man'. Well, the basic, un-weighted version...

Which means I've some hope of 'lifting my game' to adapt the zoo of droids and 'bots I'm collecting. They don't have to worry about looking clunky or falling into 'uncanny valley'.

There's a few folk on Rendo forums who claim to rebuild entire figures, but their workflow seems orders of magnitude more complex than my merry ripping of FBX, XPS, PMX, SFM and DSF props.

The other logical route, importing via FBX, has the persistent problem that Poser cannot grok 'columnar' FBX rigs, breaks them to multiple sub-rigs. A dozen if lucky, several dozen is just-workable, 100++ for an 'epic fail'. Assuming it all just doesn't 'splat' like a ST:TOS 'Transporter Accident'.

At present Poser requires a proper 'trad' tree FBX rig, with a proper 'tree' hierarchy like a genuine Poser figure, or not at all...

There were hints that an upgrade to FBX import was planned for P_12, but deferred due much bigger issues to resolve. Didn't make it into this Spring's update, either. I'm hoping for something in Autumn's version, for which I've begun saving to upgrade my PPro_11.3...

As I've said over at Rendo, I'd happily buy a reliable FBX I/O plug-in...

Meanwhile, in my unhappy experience, unless an FBX figure claims 'Maya rigged', import is pot-luck...

My usual comment is that $$$ Maya probably licensed the official Autodesk SDK & documentation, while every-one else eg Blender, is using open-source, reverse engineered plug-ins...

Last edited by Nik on 07 May 2021 18:45; edited 1 time in total 
uk.png Nik Gender: Male
Power User
Power User
Life + 1
Life + 1

Tomatoes 5780
Lemons 3486
hearts 97

HideWas this topic useful?